ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

For discussions on the great and not so great fighters of the past.
granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 11:15

Here is a youtube video of Ali doing his vile racist depicting of his opponent Joe Frazier as a gorilla.

And you can hear his audience laughing with delight.

What kind of mentality would find such poison amusing?

Watch from 1:55 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ37lyT6u8Y

And another disgusting video of Ali depicting Frazier as a "gorilla."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOeyxA3JOwo

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 11:22

granberry wrote:Here is a youtube video of Ali doing his vile racist depicting of his opponent Joe Frazier as a gorilla.

And you can hear his audience laughing with delight.

What kind of mentality would find such poison amusing?

Watch from 1:55 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ37lyT6u8Y

And another disgusting video of Ali depicting Frazier as a "gorilla."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOeyxA3JOwo






My mind flashes back to a hotel room in New York City before the first Frazier fight. Ali was watching the news. A story came on about ancient inhabitants of a Jewish nursing home who were being evicted because they couldn’t come up with $100,000. It was cold in New York, and the thought of those old people on the street got to Ali. Without any discussion, he reached for the phone and called the TV station. He would donate the $100,000 provided his name not be used. Ali did not want trouble from the Muslims or from certain members of the Ali Circus who were chronically “in need.” Money was given, it arrived in time, old people were saved, the curtain comes down, go to black and a happy ending.

Not quite.

Someone leaked it to the New York newspapers, and Ali was on the front page.[51]

Later, when Ali was asked about this gesture, he said: “These poor crippled people came to this place to eat and talk with each other and draw a little and color, and that kept them alive. And no one else came up with the money. Didn’t matter they were white or Jewish. Somebody’s got to make a stand. Ain’t nobody helping nobody in this country. It’s dog eat dog. The dollar, the dollar, that’s all they worry about.”[52] In this simple yet profound statement, Ali reveals that his desire to aid others, particularly those who have fallen by the wayside, serves as an impetus in his life. Ali has continued his efforts to preserve the dignity and freedom of all peoples, regardless of race or creed to this very day, a fact recognized by the Givat Haviva Educational Foundation, which held a ceremony in 1998 honoring Ali for his humanitarian work.[53]



http://www.americansc.org.uk/Online/Ali.htm

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 11:23

One exchange came in 2001 after Ali told The New York Times he was sorry for what he said about Frazier before their first fight. At first, Frazier accepted the apology, but then …

"He didn't apologize to me -- he apologized to the paper," Frazier said in a June issue of TV Guide. "I'm still waiting [for him] to say it to me."

Ali's response: "If you see Frazier, you tell him he's still a gorilla."


http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Frazier_Joe.html

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 11:25

Image

The VILENESS of this photo speaks for itself.

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 11:25

granberry wrote:One exchange came in 2001 after Ali told The New York Times he was sorry for what he said about Frazier before their first fight. At first, Frazier accepted the apology, but then …

"He didn't apologize to me -- he apologized to the paper," Frazier said in a June issue of TV Guide. "I'm still waiting [for him] to say it to me."

Ali's response: "If you see Frazier, you tell him he's still a gorilla."


http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Frazier_Joe.html



Even Ali’s opponents were positively influenced by him. Several years after his losses to Ali, Ken Norton suffered a serious automobile accident and had to be hospitalized, and doctors thought he might never walk again. One of the first persons to visit him was Ali. Norton remembered looking up,

…and there was this crazy man standing by my bed. It was Ali, and he was doing magic tricks for me. He made a handkerchief disappear; he levitated. And I said to myself, if he does one more awful trick, I’m going to get well just so I can kill him. But Ali was there, and his being there helped me. So I don’t want to be remembered as the man who broke Ali’s jaw. I just want to be remembered as a man who fought three close competitive fights with Ali, and became his friend when the fighting was over.[39]



http://www.americansc.org.uk/Online/Ali.htm

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 11:27

granberry wrote:Image

The VILENESS of this photo speaks for itself.



Why is Joe laughing and why did he autograph it ?

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 11:28

But one major opponent remembers him not for their epic “Rumble in the Jungle,” but for the example he set for everyone at the 1996 Olympics. George Foreman saw Ali as someone to emulate not because he lost to Ali’s superior boxing skill, but because Ali, though sick, performed so well in lighting the Olympic torch in Atlanta. “Just think…Someone has something like Parkinson’s, they’ll just stay in the house and hide…This guy came up with that torch shaking and lighting that thing like that—I felt so proud of him. Muhammad Ali did a lot for the world when he did that…He deserves the feeling that people have for him.”[43]

http://www.americansc.org.uk/Online/Ali.htm

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 11:28

In the Sixties there was a phrase among Black people: “Tell it like it is.” Very few people are willing to speak of life in these terms, but there were two persons, possibly because of their association with Ali, who told it like it was. One of them was Ferdie Pacheco, known as boxing’s “fight doctor.” He was in a position to observe Ali’s effect on the populations surrounding him, and on the communities that he visited during his boxing career. Pacheco reminds us that Ali singlehandedly defused the idea that Black was ugly, and points out that prior to Ali:

Blacks were considered subhuman – hard word for me to say, but that’s what they were. In the South especially. That’s where Ali’s from, in the South. He comes along and by dint of his athletic ability, his graciousness, his funniness, his personality, and this incredibly good-looking body and face, he says to the camera, ‘Black is beautiful. Look at me. I’m prettier than anybody in Hollywood…and I’m black.’…By the time he got through, he had defused the idea that black was ugly. ‘You don’t have to worry about being black. Black is beautiful.’ And in that context alone, if you didn’t look at anything else, he was just as big as Martin Luther King, or anybody else, ‘cause he got black people thinking that they were good, nay, that they were better.”[45]

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 11:37

Muhammad Ali Owes Joe Frazier an Apology

by Robert Littal Black Sports Online April 15, 2009
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2009 ... azier.html

It does bother me that he has never apologized to Frazier in person face to face man to man. He was wrong and he has to know that.

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 11:40

You can by your 8 X 10 photos of Ali holding up a rubber gorilla in Joe Frazier's face here:

http://www3.shopping.com/-Superstar+Joe ... Photograph

Image

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 11:48

FROM BOXREC
Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier (3rd meeting)

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Muham ... rd_meeting)

Ali labeled Frazier as an "Ugly dumb gorilla", deriding him as an inarticulate physical specimen devoid of any intelligence. Ali also labeled Joe as an "Uncle Tom" and as the "White Man's Champion."

Frazier, was the son of a sharecropper from the deep South, and a survivor of ghettos in New York and Philadelphia, to which he moved as a minor by himself to pursue boxing, and had certainly suffered prejudice and discrimination that Ali had never known. Furthermore, Frazier felt that Ali had betrayed him, because Frazier had attended numerous tribunals, hearings, and public relations functions in support of Ali throughout his difficulties stemming from his choice to avoid the draft. Frazier's support of Ali extended beyond Ali's legal difficulties, Frazier ardently supported Ali in his attempt to have his boxing license restored. Frazier and Ali's relationship, and the lasting enmity that Frazier harbors to this day for Ali, stems from this period of support. Frazier supported Ali financially during his exile from boxing, periodically giving Ali hundreds of dollars. The ad hominem attacks that Ali directed at Frazier, were unforgivable according to Frazier. While Ali has since asserted that he did so in an attempt to promote their fights and increase the gate, Frazier has always countered that their gate of $2.5 million a piece was guaranteed. The period of social unrest of the era is important to locate in context, as Ali as a social phenomenon transcended boxing. Frazier's bitter hatred for Ali, which remains to this day, drove Frazier to train relentlessly to beat Ali.

Worse yet, Ali tried to promote further interest in the fight by taunting Frazier at every opportunity, most famously by punching a rubber gorilla meant to represent Frazier during a press conference while saying "It's gonna be a chilla, and a killa, and a thrilla, when I get the Gorilla in Manila."

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 12:05

Bush presents Ali with Presidential Medal of Freedom


WASHINGTON -- Muhammad Ali, his hands shaking and eyes reflecting the White House chandeliers, accepted the nation's highest civilian award from President Bush on Wednesday.
Bush called him "the Greatest of All Time" and "a man of peace," and tied the Presidential Medal of Freedom around the former heavyweight champion's neck.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=2219166

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 12:18


Manilla Gorilla T-Shirt by Worn By Muhammad Ali


Image

The ‘Manilla Gorilla’ t-shirt made famous by legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was worn by the athlete himself in the run up to his fight with Joe Frazier on October 1st, 1975 at Areneta Stadium, Manila.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicteed/3347629420/

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 12:22

Ali called Joe Frazier an "Uncle Tom" for accepting an invitation and going to the White House after Frazier beat Ali.
Ali made the circuit of media radio shows, TV shows and interviews spitting at Frazier for going to the White House and using the most vile racist comments against Frazier.

Later, in the ultimate act of hypocrisy, Ali went to the White House after fighting Foreman.

SaadOffTheDeck
Posts: 18786
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 07:38

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

SaadOffTheDeck

08 Mar 2010, 12:28

Despicable behavior, Ali could never be the man Frazier is/was. Not in a million years. Nothing makes me sicker than the excuse that he was just selling tickets. Like those fights needed animosity for promotion. He was a jerk and a hypocrite. A much better fighter than he was a human being.

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 12:31

granberry wrote:Ali called Joe Frazier an "Uncle Tom" for accepting an invitation and going to the White House after Frazier beat Ali.
Ali made the circuit of media radio shows, TV shows and interviews spitting at Frazier for going to the White House and using the most vile racist comments against Frazier.

Later, in the ultimate act of hypocrisy, Ali went to the White House after fighting Foreman.



Gran- I can buy you this photo for your birthday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUHAMMAD-ALI-GERALD ... 518974ce8f


or this one:


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Carter.jpg




or this one:



http://www.paklinks.com/gsmedia/files/3 ... linton.jpg

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 12:33

SaadOffTheDeck wrote:Despicable behavior, Ali could never be the man Frazier is/was. Not in a million years. Nothing makes me sicker than the excuse that he was just selling tickets. Like those fights needed animosity for promotion. He was a jerk and a hypocrite. A much better fighter than he was a human being.



He apologized for it, ad infinitum and ad nauseum. I never heard Joe Frazier aplogize for his reveling in Ali's Parkinson's Disease.


And for balance:




My mind flashes back to a hotel room in New York City before the first Frazier fight. Ali was watching the news. A story came on about ancient inhabitants of a Jewish nursing home who were being evicted because they couldn’t come up with $100,000. It was cold in New York, and the thought of those old people on the street got to Ali. Without any discussion, he reached for the phone and called the TV station. He would donate the $100,000 provided his name not be used. Ali did not want trouble from the Muslims or from certain members of the Ali Circus who were chronically “in need.” Money was given, it arrived in time, old people were saved, the curtain comes down, go to black and a happy ending.

Not quite.

Someone leaked it to the New York newspapers, and Ali was on the front page.[51]

Later, when Ali was asked about this gesture, he said: “These poor crippled people came to this place to eat and talk with each other and draw a little and color, and that kept them alive. And no one else came up with the money. Didn’t matter they were white or Jewish. Somebody’s got to make a stand. Ain’t nobody helping nobody in this country. It’s dog eat dog. The dollar, the dollar, that’s all they worry about.”[52] In this simple yet profound statement, Ali reveals that his desire to aid others, particularly those who have fallen by the wayside, serves as an impetus in his life. Ali has continued his efforts to preserve the dignity and freedom of all peoples, regardless of race or creed to this very day, a fact recognized by the Givat Haviva Educational Foundation, which held a ceremony in 1998 honoring Ali for his humanitarian work.[53]

SaadOffTheDeck
Posts: 18786
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 07:38

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

SaadOffTheDeck

08 Mar 2010, 12:38

You already posted that. I'm not interested in getting in the middle of your pissing battle with Granberry.

He can apologize all he wants, I don't believe it was sincere and Ali was a total asshole imo. I grew up a fan and it sucks he is like he is. But the whole notion that he was some kind of humanitarian is a joke. He cared about himself.

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 12:46

My little "Muhammad Ali story".

Joe Frazier says that Ali loves his group (the Nation Of Islam) more than anything including his fans. Never mind Ali left the Nation some thirty years ago when Elijah Muhammad died. That's simply untrue.

Back in 1987 my mom, god bless her soul, used to work at the Federal Building in Downtown Orlando on Hughey Avenue. Muhummad Ali was there as a character witness for one of his friends or associates who had gotten himself in some trouble. During a break, Ali went to the cafeteria and sat down and began to sign autographs for whomever wanted one. My mom got on line and when it was time to meet the GOAT she said "my son loves you". Ali signed an envelope my mom had "To Brian- Peace-3-87'" My fiancee bought me the framed photo of a victorious Muhammad Ali standing over a supine Sonny Liston and I had the autograph added to it.

A man that doesn't care for his fans doesn't act like that.

What Ali did was wrong and regrettable. He has apologized for it ad infinitum and ad nauseum. But I would wager my life we wouldn't be hearing all this carping if he had lost.

granberry
Posts: 3742
Joined: 13 Jul 2006, 11:30

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

granberry

08 Mar 2010, 12:50

Before their first fight, Ali had branded Joe as 'dumb' and an 'Uncle Tom'. In promoting Ali-Frazier II, he had called Joe 'ignorant' during a joint television interview, which led to an ugly studio brawl. Then, at a press conference in advance of Ali-Frazier III, Muhammad went further over the line.

The insults began with a poem:

It will be a killer

And a chiller

And a thrilla

When I get the gorilla

In Manila

Then Ali reached into his pocket, pulled out a black rubber gorilla, and announced, 'This is the way Joe Frazier looks when you hit him.'

Ali began pummeling the gorilla. 'Come on, gorilla,' he taunted as Frazier glowered and the assembled media laughed. 'We're in Manila. Come on, gorilla; this is a thrilla.'

'Joe Frazier is so ugly,' Ali said, pouring more salt into the wound. 'His mother told me that, when Joe was a little boy, every time he cried, the tears would stop, turn around, and go down the back of his head.'


http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/se ... es.sport16

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 12:51

SaadOffTheDeck wrote:You already posted that. I'm not interested in getting in the middle of your pissing battle with Granberry.

He can apologize all he wants, I don't believe it was sincere and Ali was a total asshole imo. I grew up a fan and it sucks he is like he is. But the whole notion that he was some kind of humanitarian is a joke. He cared about himself.



Respectfullly, how do you know what kind of man he was.The people who knew him best love him. Most of his opponents loved him. George Foreman considers him a brother and stays in touch with his daughter , Rasheda Ali, to keep apprized of Ali's health because of all the rumors that swirl around it. When the Iranians took 59 Americans hostage in 1979 Muhammad Ali offered himself instead. When Ken Norton had his near fatal automobile accident, Muhammad Ali was one of the first persons to arrive to visit him.

SaadOffTheDeck
Posts: 18786
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 07:38

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

SaadOffTheDeck

08 Mar 2010, 12:57

ThatOne wrote:
SaadOffTheDeck wrote:You already posted that. I'm not interested in getting in the middle of your pissing battle with Granberry.

He can apologize all he wants, I don't believe it was sincere and Ali was a total asshole imo. I grew up a fan and it sucks he is like he is. But the whole notion that he was some kind of humanitarian is a joke. He cared about himself.



Respectfullly, how do you know what kind of man he was.The people who knew him best love him. Most of his opponents loved him. George Foreman considers him a brother and stays in touch with his daughter , Rasheda Ali, to keep apprized of Ali's health because of all the rumors that swirl around it. When the Iranians took 59 Americans hostage in 1979 Muhammad Ali offered himself instead. When Ken Norton had his near fatal automobile accident, Muhammad Ali was one of the first persons to arrive to visit him.



I reserve the right to make up my own mind, same as yourself.

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 13:01

SaadOffTheDeck wrote:
ThatOne wrote:
SaadOffTheDeck wrote:You already posted that. I'm not interested in getting in the middle of your pissing battle with Granberry.

He can apologize all he wants, I don't believe it was sincere and Ali was a total asshole imo. I grew up a fan and it sucks he is like he is. But the whole notion that he was some kind of humanitarian is a joke. He cared about himself.



Respectfullly, how do you know what kind of man he was.The people who knew him best love him. Most of his opponents loved him. George Foreman considers him a brother and stays in touch with his daughter , Rasheda Ali, to keep apprized of Ali's health because of all the rumors that swirl around it. When the Iranians took 59 Americans hostage in 1979 Muhammad Ali offered himself instead. When Ken Norton had his near fatal automobile accident, Muhammad Ali was one of the first persons to arrive to visit him.



I reserve the right to make up my own mind, same as yourself.



That's your right. I just wouldn't want to be judged by my worst act and that's why I refrain from judging others by their worst act.

SaadOffTheDeck
Posts: 18786
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 07:38

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

SaadOffTheDeck

08 Mar 2010, 13:09

ThatOne wrote:
SaadOffTheDeck wrote:
ThatOne wrote:
SaadOffTheDeck wrote:You already posted that. I'm not interested in getting in the middle of your pissing battle with Granberry.

He can apologize all he wants, I don't believe it was sincere and Ali was a total asshole imo. I grew up a fan and it sucks he is like he is. But the whole notion that he was some kind of humanitarian is a joke. He cared about himself.



Respectfullly, how do you know what kind of man he was.The people who knew him best love him. Most of his opponents loved him. George Foreman considers him a brother and stays in touch with his daughter , Rasheda Ali, to keep apprized of Ali's health because of all the rumors that swirl around it. When the Iranians took 59 Americans hostage in 1979 Muhammad Ali offered himself instead. When Ken Norton had his near fatal automobile accident, Muhammad Ali was one of the first persons to arrive to visit him.



I reserve the right to make up my own mind, same as yourself.



That's your right. I just wouldn't want to be judged by my worst act and that's why I refrain from judging others by their worst act.



He was a wretched husband to boot, I try not to get moral on people. But Ali used and flung away women like candy. He would just discard a wife without a second thought.

If you don't want to be remembered for your worst acts, don't repeat them over and over on national TV.

Richard Nixson did plenty of good things as President.

ThatOne
Posts: 2500
Joined: 14 Oct 2009, 17:15

Re: ALI DEPICTING JOE FRAZIER AS A "GORILLA"

ThatOne

08 Mar 2010, 13:12

Is Ali the first athlete to have multiple affairs?

King David had one of his soldiers killed to hide his own infidelity and he's considered one of the greatest men in The Bible.


Return to “Boxers of the past”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests