BOOKS

For discussions on the great and not so great fighters of the past.
SUGARRAYSMELEE

BOOKS

Postby SUGARRAYSMELEE » 31 Jan 2011, 03:56

Can anyone give me the name of any books/ writers/ historians that they feel are essential?

I am 19 and would like to become an aficionado of the sport one day.

I have read "The sweet science" and countless biographies, I was just wondering if there were any reads that you guys feel are definitive and very informative.
Scottrf

Re: BOOKS

Postby Scottrf » 31 Jan 2011, 05:02

To try and mention some that don't get a shout every time on these threads:

'Boxiana' by Pierce Egan, depending on if you get on with historic writing, the classic look at barenuckle boxing at the start of the 19th century. Can find most of it on google books. You will have heard Liebling refer to it a lot in 'Sweet Science'. If you liked that, I think a lot of his other articles are in 'The Neutral Corner'.

'The Arc of Boxing' by Mike Silver. Even if you don't agree with every one of his points, a compelling case for why boxing has declined since the proposed 'golden era' of 1920-1950.

'The Greatest Boxing Stories Ever Told' by Jeff Silverman. Not only a good collection of articles, a great way to find which authors you like.

'Teddy Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring'. Quite possibly a lot of embellishment, but a very interesting book.

If you search you will be able to find historical threads like this, for the usual 'Dark Trade', 'Four Kings' etc.

Depends on the subject matter you want really, and whether you prefer to focus on a particular boxer, era or subject.

I have heard very good things about Adam Pollack's books, yet to read one myself though.
Srebmun

Postby Srebmun » 31 Jan 2011, 06:01

Scottrf wrote:To try and mention some that don't get a shout every time on these threads:

'Boxiana' by Pierce Egan, depending on if you get on with historic writing, the classic look at barenuckle boxing at the start of the 19th century. Can find most of it on google books. You will have heard Liebling refer to it a lot in 'Sweet Science'. If you liked that, I think a lot of his other articles are in 'The Neutral Corner'.

'The Arc of Boxing' by Mike Silver. Even if you don't agree with every one of his points, a compelling case for why boxing has declined since the proposed 'golden era' of 1920-1950.

'The Greatest Boxing Stories Ever Told' by Jeff Silverman. Not only a good collection of articles, a great way to find which authors you like.

'Teddy Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring'. Quite possibly a lot of embellishment, but a very interesting book.

If you search you will be able to find historical threads like this, for the usual 'Dark Trade', 'Four Kings' etc.

Depends on the subject matter you want really, and whether you prefer to focus on a particular boxer, era or subject.

I have heard very good things about Adam Pollack's books, yet to read one myself though.

I enjoyed his John L. Sullivan: The Career of the First Gloved Heavyweight Champion book, but apparently the Michael T Isenberg book "John L.Sullivan and His Times" is better, I've ordered Isenberg's recently so will know soon.

If you check in either the General or British and Irish forums SUGARRAYSMELEE there's plenty of threads on recommended books.
Ezzard

Postby Ezzard » 02 Feb 2011, 11:32

Hi Sugar

You are unlucky to be 19 in the age of a zillion weight classes, a plethora of useless titles, the almost extinct rematch and the 12 round maximum limit…etc…

But you are oh so lucky to be in the internet age where you can argue on BoxRec. Soak up some wisdom from the people who post here especially those who have been associated with the game or are even ex-pros…

AND so many of the old fights are on the web.

A guy posts on here sometimes called The Sundance Kid (Mike Casey) and he has posted a number of excellent articles. Robert.Snell1 does a fine newsletter in which he posts some boxer biogs.
SUGARRAYSMELEE

Postby SUGARRAYSMELEE » 02 Feb 2011, 11:59

Thank you all for the information.
enrique
Editor
Editor

Postby enrique » 07 Feb 2011, 21:18

Fat City - a terrific novel and excellent movie.

The Fireside Book of Boxing- by WC Heinz- an excelllent series of boxing literary jewels

John L Sullivan and his America - by Izenberg. Both a bio and sociological study

In the Corner- By Peter Heller- one of the best boxing books ever. Interviews and short bios on many fighters that have since passed away.
x2x

Postby x2x » 08 Feb 2011, 11:59

"Fat City - a terrific novel and excellent movie."

My favorite boxing movie. How does the book compare?

I just picked up Roger Kahn's book on Jack Dempsey which I came across at the used book store. It gets mixed reviews on Amazon.
x2x

Postby x2x » 08 Feb 2011, 23:50

I haven't actually started reading the book yet, but I was skimming it, and reading about how concerned the managers of Dempsey and Tunney were concerning who would be picked as referee for their big fight. Benny Leonard, a newspaper commentator at that time, was explaining how vitally important the ref is to the outcome of fights, and how the ref can influence it in more or less subtle ways. Dempsey's manager said that his main concerns are the money, the rules, and the ref, and he said that if they try to put a crooked ref in there he's hopping a train with Dempsey and not even going to show up.

But here's my question: What the hell are modern managers doing to earn their money!? I repeatedly see in your face bent referees, like Joe Cortez and Randy Neuman, to name just two, and then there is, of course, the constant absurd decisions by the ex-cons all dressed up in judge suits - and I don't see the managers doing a damn thing except wearing a big poo eating grin while their man gets screwed over.
Ambling Alp

Postby Ambling Alp » 15 Feb 2011, 00:36

x2x wrote:"Fat City - a terrific novel and excellent movie."

My favorite boxing movie. How does the book compare?

I just picked up Roger Kahn's book on Jack Dempsey which I came across at the used book store. It gets mixed reviews on Amazon.

I thought the book on Demspey was ok. I read it a few years ago.
About a year ago I read a book on Sugar Ray Robinson was decent. It was by Wil Haygood.

Some others that I liked:

Cinderella Man by Jeremy Schaap. About Braddock.
Only in America by Jack Newfield. It's about Don King.
In This Corner...! By Peter Heller.
The Legendary Champions by Rex Lardner. It's about the heavyweight champs from Sullivan to Tunney.
A Nuetral Corner by AJ Liebling.

To look a fact up:
The Encyclopedia of Boxing by Gilbert Odd
The Boxing Register (Though it has a few mistakes.)
SaadOffTheDeck

Postby SaadOffTheDeck » 15 Feb 2011, 00:42

Boxings greatest Uncrowned Champion- Clay Moyle

May as well read about what was quite possibly the greatest fighter who has ever lived. As high as people are on Pac. You will never see a fighter face and beat all-time greats from Lightweight to heavyweight.
SUGARRAYSMELEE

Postby SUGARRAYSMELEE » 15 Feb 2011, 02:32

I just checked that Sam Langford book out from the library, quite a coincidence, thanks for the recommendation.
SaadOffTheDeck

Postby SaadOffTheDeck » 15 Feb 2011, 02:41

Nice, I loved it.
Scottrf

Postby Scottrf » 15 Feb 2011, 04:46

SaadOffTheDeck wrote:Boxings greatest Uncrowned Champion- Clay Moyle

May as well read about what was quite possibly the greatest fighter who has ever lived. As high as people are on Pac. You will never see a fighter face and beat all-time greats from Lightweight to heavyweight.

I got recommended this the other day on Amazon. Felt like a proper boxing fan 8)
Srebmun

Postby Srebmun » 15 Feb 2011, 07:02

Scottrf wrote:
SaadOffTheDeck wrote:Boxings greatest Uncrowned Champion- Clay Moyle

I got recommended this the other day on Amazon. Felt like a proper boxing fan 8)

I feel the same, I get mails from them or if I log in to my a/c it makes suggestions.

I downloaded the PDF's of Fistiana and Vol 1 and 2 of Pugilistica and one of the chaps here in the docu centre in work is cutting and binding them for me.

8)
Alex

Postby Alex » 25 Feb 2011, 18:00

I've just received a signed copy of Clay Moyle's Sam Langford book and must say it looks an extremely well-researched and well-written book.

I think somebody else already mentioned Gilbert Odd's 'Enyclopedia of Boxing', which for me is the best boxing reference book available.

If you admire beautifully crafted writing from a man who knew his pugilists, then you can't go wrong with O.F. Snelling's 'The Ringside Book of Boxing'.

Lastly, I've just published a book on my grandfather Nipper Pat Daly, a boxing Wonderboy of the 1920s and '30s. As well as chronicling Nipper Pat's ring exploits, it's packed with info on the pre-war British boxing scene and brings to life many of the sport's forgotten characters and old-time fight venues.

You can read a free sample of the introduction and first chapter here:

http://www.nipperpatdaly.co.uk/nipperbooksample.pdf

Or you can purchase the book securely here:

http://www.nipperpatdaly.co.uk/nipperboxingbook.html

Return to “Boxers of the past”