Duran vs. Hagler, RBR

For discussions on the great and not so great fighters of the past.
HomicideHenry

Duran vs. Hagler, RBR

HomicideHenry

28 Feb 2013, 17:41

Round One: Even

Round Two: Hagler

Round Three: Duran

Round Four: Duran

Note: Very difficult to score because Hagler is throwing & missing, but is the aggressor

Round Five: Hagler

Round Six: Hagler

Round Seven: Duran

Round Eight: Duran

Note: Again, very difficult to score because Hagler is missing, but is the aggressor

Round Nine: Even

Round Ten: Hagler

Round Eleven: Even

Round Twelve: Duran

Note: Duran opens up a cut on Hagler in round twelve, both men very tired

Round Thirteen: Duran

Round Fourteen: Hagler

Round Fifteen: Hagler

Note: Hagler throws away round thirteen and Duran piles on much needed points; the official scorecard for the fight was a single point difference between the two men, with Hagler winning a decision (unaminously). I can see Hagler winning a decision only because of that last round, with Hagler coming on very strong and Duran was exhausted. Duran came into the fight a 3-1 underdog, and nobody expected it to go the distance, let alone be razor thin. My scorecard reads 6-6-3, DRAW.

SaadOffTheDeck

Re: Duran vs. Hagler, RBR

SaadOffTheDeck

28 Feb 2013, 18:51

Another terrible card.

10-5 Hagler

Seamus

Seamus

28 Feb 2013, 19:01

When I watched live on TV I had it 147-141 for Hagler. 9-3-3

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

28 Feb 2013, 19:05

That's reasonable, round thirteen was an easy Hagler round. I can't tell if Hank is just trying to get a rise with these threads or if he's just clueless.

MEISINGER

MEISINGER

28 Feb 2013, 19:14

i just watched this again on sunday so it is fresh on my mind
i had it 9-6 hagler

duran gave a good account of himself
i expected hagler to knock out the old man in the first 8 rounds

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

28 Feb 2013, 19:28

Hagler was a bit intimidated and his nerves were there for his first superfight. Duran wasn't in very good shape, he was sucking wind by the 5th or 6th round, but his laser right hand was enough to keep Hagler at bay. The last nine minutes was all Hagler.

Rover

Rover

28 Feb 2013, 20:43

SaadOffTheDeck wrote:Another terrible card.

10-5 Hagler

145-140 for me also.

Esquire

Esquire

28 Feb 2013, 21:35

As a big fan of boxing I am often surprised at how my scoring of a fight differs when I watch it live versus scoring it again at some point in the future.

I watched Leonard v. Hagler on closed circuit television at the Nassau Coliseum and was rooting for Hagler. I remeber telling my father when I got home that night that Leonard so clearly won in my mind. In the many times I've seen it since I have Hagler winning close each time.

Of the ten thousand or so fans in the stadium that night I'd bet that 8000 of them were pulling for Leonard and anything he did drew a huge crowd response and it affected my scoring.

All this aside, had Hagler came out smoking as a southpaw there would not have been a question as to who won the fight. He gave away those first three rounds because he wanted to show the world that he could outbox Leonard from the orthodox stance. It wasn't a ploy, or a trick, or a deception. Hagler could box as a righty and in his mind beating him that way would be the ultimate slap in the face to the "face" of boxing - and I believe he genuinely believed was the better boxer than Leonard and that he could do it righty. Only after three rounds did he commit to the southpaw attack and things settled in his favor for the most part from that part forward. It cost him the fight even though I thought he won. It shouldn't have been that close.

elmersalsa

elmersalsa

01 Mar 2013, 12:07

If the fight was 12 rounds, history would have been different. I had Duran winning by the end of round 12. Hagler rallied the last 3 rounds like a real great champion. Duran broke his right hand and looked like if he ran out of gas by the last 3 stanzas. He was not in his prime anyway. It was a good decision.

HomicideHenry

HomicideHenry

01 Mar 2013, 14:11

Hagler was the aggressor throughout, but I couldnt help but be awed by how many of his punches either flat out missed or caught Duran on the arms and gloves; I couldn't help but admire Duran, him being in half assed shape and he was making Hagler dead tired. The official scores showed that Hagler had to win the last two rounds to beat Duran; and maybe they were right in scoring this, rather than my draw scorecard, however there were some rounds I could have thrown to Hagler only based on the fact that he was being aggressive, though it wasn't being effective in some of those rounds.

klompton

klompton

01 Mar 2013, 23:26

I thought the fight was razor thin. Anyone who thinks that Hagler had a FIVE round lead doesnt know jack about boxing. Hagler looked like he was in the ring with his stepdaddy that night -scared Duran was gonna take off his belt and give him a whipping.

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

02 Mar 2013, 00:48

klompton wrote:I thought the fight was razor thin. Anyone who thinks that Hagler had a FIVE round lead doesnt know jack about boxing. Hagler looked like he was in the ring with his stepdaddy that night -scared Duran was gonna take off his belt and give him a whipping.

:roll:

Stick to the old timers.

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

02 Mar 2013, 10:05

:lol:

I'm a huge Duran fan.

Rover

Rover

02 Mar 2013, 10:10

SaadOffTheDeck wrote::lol:

I'm a huge Duran fan.

Didn't you say in a Hagler thread that your respect for Hagler grew as a result of your being a Hearns and Duran guy?

Seamus

Seamus

02 Mar 2013, 10:29

A barrage of punches landing on a guy's arms, still wins rounds when the other guy is pretty much inactive throughout the round. And listen to Big George some time when he talks about punching a guys arms.

HomicideHenry

HomicideHenry

02 Mar 2013, 13:44

Seamus wrote:A barrage of punches landing on a guy's arms, still wins rounds when the other guy is pretty much inactive throughout the round. And listen to Big George some time when he talks about punching a guys arms.

Now if it was someone like Marciano who banged on people's arms to bring their guards down to get openings, then that's something different. Unless you score to the body and the head, you are not 'scoring' points or winning rounds imho. Like a judges rule book, that I been studying up on, there are a few key elements in order to judge a round: Aggression, Effective Aggression, Ring Generalship are the main three. If you are not being effective with your aggression you have to base it on ring generalship; but if there is no real ring generalship going on either, you bring it down to aggression. In this case, Hagler won the last two rounds because his aggression finally got effective. Prior to that, it was a match that came down to who was more aggressive than the other, because both guys were missing shots. Just my two cents.

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

02 Mar 2013, 14:02

Hagler won the last 3 rounds, that isn't even debatable.

MEISINGER

MEISINGER

02 Mar 2013, 14:52

SaadOffTheDeck wrote:Hagler won the last 3 rounds, that isn't even debatable.

oh yeah hagler won the last 3 rounds
if this had been a 12 rounder the fight could of gone either way

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

02 Mar 2013, 15:02

MEISINGER wrote:
SaadOffTheDeck wrote:Hagler won the last 3 rounds, that isn't even debatable.

oh yeah hagler won the last 3 rounds
if this had been a 12 rounder the fight could of gone either way

Agreed, I had it 7-5 at that point and there were several close rounds. Henry is under the impression that Duran handily won round 13. Perhaps he's mixing it up with the 12th when the crowd was going nuts while Roberto dropped right hands. I remember listening to a RBR recap on the radio and the guy was all fired up after that round.

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

02 Mar 2013, 22:49

I own the fight and have seen it enough, it wasn't particularly exciting. No need to watch it again at the urging of a troll. Clear cut Hagler round.

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

03 Mar 2013, 00:10

foxy01 wrote:
SaadOffTheDeck wrote:I own the fight and have seen it enough, it wasn't particularly exciting. No need to watch it again at the urging of a troll. Clear cut Hagler round.

In other words you have been exposed yet again as a self opinionated fraud, who if you knew half as much as you think you do, it would be twice as much as you actually know.

Go away, and stop trolling your worthless spin. You wouldn't know a clear round if it bit you.

:zzz:

You've never had a conversation on this site that isn't argumentative. If you don't like my posts, by all means; stop obsessing over them.

keithmoonhangover

keithmoonhangover

03 Mar 2013, 07:12

Rover wrote:

10-5 Hagler

145-140 for me also.

If you pull your tongue out of Saad's arse for a minute, you might be able to make your own opinions. :roll:

Rover

Rover

03 Mar 2013, 07:15

keithmoonhangover wrote:
Rover wrote:

10-5 Hagler

145-140 for me also.

If you pull your tongue out of Saad's arse for a minute, you might be able to make your own opinions. :roll:

I've disagreed with Saad quite a few times, FYI. This just happens to be a time where I concur with him.

SaadOffTheDeck

SaadOffTheDeck

03 Mar 2013, 08:01

foxy01 wrote:
" Tis far better to let people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it." :TU:

You violate this every time you touch your keyboard.

Rover

Rover

03 Mar 2013, 08:05

SaadOffTheDeck wrote:
foxy01 wrote:
" Tis far better to let people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it." :TU:

You violate this every time you touch your keyboard.

I just learned my tongue is in your ass thanks to the genius otherwise known as keithmoonhangover.
:lol:

Return to “Boxers of the past”