BoxRec
It is currently 29 Jan 2015, 03:16

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 15:23 

I've never heard of a challenger named Sea.
:lol:

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 16:28 

Il Duce wrote:
Rover wrote:
I've never heard of a challenger named Sea.

One news reporter said it was a 'short' way to say 'Sugar Ray' in the Ivory Coast {French speaking language}.
Correct spelling {S're}

Another account stated his boxing name was 'Sea Tiger', in reference to the Tiger Sharks who cruised
the waters off the southern coast of the Ivory Coast {Gulf of Guinea} Atlantic Ocean.

Thanks Duce. Makes more sense now.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 17:32 

Il Duce wrote:
Mr. Rover

Todays Boxing History Lesson........ :D

Fight Recap between Elisha Obed vs. Sea Robinson.......up next.

:salut:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 13:01 

Il Duce wrote:
April 24, 1976

** WBC - Elisha Obed ~ 64-0-1 {47 KO's}
vs
#5 WBC - Sea Robinson ~ 31-1-2 {13 KO's}

'OBED RETAINS JUNIOR MIDDLE TITLE'

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... CtGeQUaehA

The Fight -

From the outset, the 24 year-old Champion - Elisha Obed {152 lbs.} was the aggressor as he constantly
moved forward while whipping in his left-hands and looking to throw his dangerous uppercuts and hooks.

Sea Robinson {150 lbs.} used his good footwork to move, as he was not interested in exchanging with the
powerful Champion, and did not initiate any action as he remained on the defensive.

The 30 year-old Challenger showed good movement, but little else thru 8-Rounds, only landing an occasional
left jab and an infrequent right-hook counter-punch. Sea was smart to not stay stationary, as he was always
trying to keep the Champion at a distance and away from his dangerous body punches.

Elisha easily controlled the bout for first 8-Rounds, as he was the aggressor and set the pace as Sea fought
defensively, leaving the Champion to dictate the action. Elisha relied primarily on his left-hand, by scoring
with upper-cuts and hooks to both the body and head of the 30 year-old Challenger.

Ringside Press had it scored 80-75 {5-0-3 in Rounds} for Elisha thru 8-Rounds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* ROUND 9
The Champion pressed early in an attempt to land with his hard-punches, but he was starting to leave
himself open as he came forward. Mid-way through the Round, the Challenger started to land better with
his counter-punches, and he caught Elisha several times in the face with crisp left-hands.

Late in the round at the {2:40 Mark} Robinson caught the Champion with a hard left-hook which shook him,
and Robinson then opened up with a 'flurry' sending Elisha backwards for the first time in the bout. Robinson
then landed several good head-punches just before the bell ended the Round.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* ROUND 10 {Best Round of the Bout}
The Challenger came out fast this time, looking to capitalize on his success at the end of Round 9. After scoring
with a few flurries, Robinson was sent backwards as the Champion landed a hard left upper-cut into the body.
Sensing that he hurt the Challenger, Elisha moved in and pressed, and started to unload his heavy arsenal
as Robinson tried to circle and move away.

At the {1:30 Mark}, Obed landed a hard right-hand to the head that shook the Challenger, and Robinson
retreated backwards quickly to clear his head. The Champion continued to press, and during a close-exchange
at the {2:00 Mark} he caught Robinson with a hard left-hook and left upper-cut to the jaw, flooring Robinson
where he took an '8-Count' from American Referee - Jay Edson

Thinking that he had the Ivory Coast fighter in trouble, Elisha came in swinging wildly to look for the 'finisher'.
As Elisha continued to wail away for the next 25-Seconds, he had no regard for defense and walked into a
vicious right-hand hook to the jaw from the Challenger at the {2:46 Mark}. Elisha was staggered and badly
hurt, and wobbled backwards to the ropes. There, Sea Robinson unloaded with a flurry of left-rights to the head
and body until the Champion was 'saved-by-the-bell'.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* ROUND 11 and ROUND 12
The Champion had fully recovered from the late-Round onslaught in Round 10, and went back to his aggressive
attack, by again winging in hard left-hands on the Challenger. By the {1:00 Mark} of Round 11, Elisha was back
in total command, and was again forcing Robinson to back away. The Champion was steady with his offense, as
the Challenger remained on the defensive in both Rounds 11 and 12.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* ROUND 13 - ROUND 14 - ROUND 15
With the bout well in hand, the Champion's corner instructed Elisha to fight smart and not leave himself open
for any sneaky counter-punches from the Challenger. The Champion again relied on his stiff left to score.

Fighting with his hands held high, the Champion pressed but avoided in leaving himself open. In the meantime,
Sea Robinson was able to be a little more aggressive, and was able to land some left hands from long range, but
the punches lacked any power.

* Scorecards.
* Referee - Jay Edson {USA}... 148-140 {Elisha Obed}
* Judge {Mexico}................... 148-142 {Elisha Obed}
* Judge {France}................... 147-146 {Elisha Obed}

After Bout Comments,

Elisha Obed, "I almost lost my Title. I was winning easily, and I got careless at the end of Round 9. Then after I
dropped him in Round 10, I got caught by a right-hand and nearly got stopped. I better lay off the late night's
and get back the grindstone."

Mike Dundee, "The fight was going too easy for Elisha, and he got careless a few times. Physically he was sharp
and strong, but mentally he was not 100%. Maybe it was the venue of the bout or the atmosphere here."

Sea Robinson, "The Champion is very strong and punches hard. And he was very difficult to hit because he is
awkward. But, it was a good fight and he won."

So Obed was almost stopped and almost lost his title to Sea Robinson? Doesn't say much for him.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 14:21 

Il Duce wrote:
Mr rover,

Not really a fair comment.

The general feeling was that after 9-years of constant fighting {since September 1967}
and '66-Bouts', the 24 1/2 year-old Bahamian was mentally burnt out.

Physically, Elisha was in great shape, but he seemed to have lost focus after winning the
Championship on November 15, 1975 - and becoming a 'Star' in the Bahamas had temporarily
gone to his head.

Elisha was a quite and polite gentleman, and that cost him the 'fighters edge'. He had believed he
could beat any fighter he faced, just by sheer talent alone. In the bout with Sea Robinson, he clearly
dominated, but was given 'two' scary moments before recovering.

I think it's a fair comment. I go by fighters' performances, and he apparently almost got stopped by one of his two rather inferior challengers, after which he lost his title.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 16:44 

Il Duce wrote:
Interesting Fact,

May 14, 1976

Elisha Obed {Bahamas} signed to face #4 WBC-ranked Eckhard Dagge {Germany} in Italy,
set for June 18, 1976 at a 20,000 seat outdoor stadium.

#1 WBC-ranked - Vito Antuofermo and #2 WBC-ranked - Bruno Arcari {both of Italy} were
passed over.

Since this 'Title Defense' was still a 'non-mandatory', Elisha Obed's Manager {Mike Dundee}
took the 'best money' bout out there {$89,000} for what he thought would be an easy
Championship Bout for the 24 1/2 year-old Champion.

WBC Ratings {June 1, 1976}

*** Elisha Obed
#1.. Vito Antuofermo
#2.. Bruno Arcari
#3.. Jose Manuel Duran {WBA Champion}
#4.. Eckhard Dagge

But, the venue location was eventually changed to the Deutschlandhalle in Berlin.

I didn't know Arcari was rated at jr. middle.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 22:34 

I can see Rover's point about Obed's Championship pedigree. Tony Gardner ran a long string of knockouts against unknowns in hotel ballrooms in Oklahoma and there is absolutely no footage of him. Then Obed fights another complete unknown from Ivory Coast in Sea Robinson that no one outside perhaps the most diehard experts ever even heard of and has some rough spots. Robinson (and Gardner for that matter) may have been talented and well-rounded fighters who just escaped the spotlight, but there's no empirical evidence to make that call.

I think Duce probably called it correctly in suggesting that Obed, having been a professional since he was 15, just peaked right before winning the title and started burning out immediately after. In the earliest footage I've seen of him, the Curtis Parker fight in 1979, he looked like a shopworn journeyman and showed nothing resembling his earlier reputation.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 23:05 

Benitez never really did anything after the Hearns loss.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 13:01 

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of another title fight where someone has done that.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 15:56 

Il Duce wrote:
Yup,

After scoring a 'Knockdown' in Round 4, and well ahead after 9-Rounds, and clearly controlling
Round 10, and after scoring with a good '3-Punch' combination with only 25-seconds left in the Round.

Elisha quits, with absolutely nothing wrong with him.

The most astonished person, Referee - Jay Edson who referee'd several of Elisha's fights and knewhow
good he was {or had been}.

After the bout, '3' German Physicians checked out Elisha, and found nothing wrong with him.

Eckhard Dagge had landed several good solid body-blows during the bout, but nothing that could be deemed
'a rib-crushing fight ending blow'.

Originally, some thought that Eckhard had landed a hard right punch to Elisha's left hip, giving him a 'hip-pointer'.

Elisha Obed's friend and sparring partner 'Florida Light-Heavyweight' - Tony Greene was also perplexed, as he
said his Grandmother could hit harder than Eckhard Dagge.

2 points through 9 rounds isn't well ahead IMO.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 16:19 

Il Duce wrote:
Ahh,

But if Round 10 had been completed, Elisha would have been up by 3-Points, and that equates
to a solid lead after 10-Rounds.

The Associated Press had it 4-2-3 in Rounds after 9-Rounds.

Official Scorecards
* Referee - Jay Edson....... 88-86
* Judge - Angelo Pirotti..... 88-86
* Judge - Sanchez Villa..... 87-85

I'm referring to after 9. The 10th wasn't scored, obviously. Up 2 points through 9 isn't well ahead--even in a 12 rounder.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 18:30 

Il Duce wrote:
General Overview

The Champion was in complete control over the first 4-Rounds, including flooring the Challenger
at the end of Round 4.

The Challenger came back with a solid body attack in Rounds 5 and 6 to get back into the bout,
and stall the Champion's aggressive attack.

The Champion picked up the pace in Round 7, and halted the aggressive success that the Challenger
had in the previous 2-Rounds.

Both fighters had their share of success in Rounds 8 and 9, but the Champion was landing more
punches on the Challenger who looked the worse for wear.

In Round 10, the Champion was the better fighter, despite some decent body-body punches from
the Challenger. The Champion started to dominate at the latter portion of the Round, and suddenly
stopped fighting for no apparent reason.
That's more accurate sounding; I just didn't agree with well ahead when he was up 2 points.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 19:13 

Il Duce wrote:
Mr. Rover,

I thought you would accept the 'better prepared fight review'........ :D

The Bahamas Press Sports Editors {The Tribune and The Nassau Guardian} ripped Elisha
for quitting, calling the bout a 'Poke-in-the-Eye' to all Bahamians.

Interesting, that just 7-Weeks later on Saturday Night - August 7, 1976 Elisha was back
in the Ring at the Grand Bahamas Stadium in Freeport in front of 3500 fans {sell-out bout}
fighting again.

Elisha's opponent, Larry Brazier was a 32 1/2 year-old, 5' 8" Oklahoma Light-Middleweight
with a record of 35-15-1 {16 KO's}. Strictly a durable journeyman/trial-horse who had only
been stopped 'twice' in a '51-Bout' career. Larry Brazier was from the Pat O'Grady stable of boxers.

The bout didn't last long, as Elisha {157 lbs.} clobbered Larry Brazier {156 lbs.} to the canvas
'twice' in the 1st-Round with hard right-hands to the jaw, enroute to a KO @ 2:50 of Round 1.

Referee - Nelson Chipman

With the win, Elisha moved his record to 66-1-1 {48 KO's}.

It was later revealed, that Elisha had 'two' other 1967 unlisted bouts on his record when
he was a 15 1/2 year-old prospect.

* November 10, 1967 - {Draw 4} with Taylor Ventura
* December 11, 1967 - {L KO 2} to Kid Carew

Elisha's record was updated to 66-2-2.

I indeed liked the more thorough report better.
:salut:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 19:52 

Il Duce wrote:
WBC Ratings {September 1976}

*** Eckhard Dagge
#1.. Jose Manuel Duran {WBA Champion}
#2.. Rocky Mattioli
#3.. Maurice Hope
#4.. Elisha Obed
#5.. Vito Antuofermo
#6.. Monty Betham
#7.. Loucif Hamani
#8.. Bruno Arcari
#9.. Juarez De Lima
#10 Jae-Keum Lim

Why'd Arcari drop?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 15:10 

Il Duce wrote:
Bruno Arcari,

Dropped due to inactivity.

After fighting to a 10-Round Draw with Rocky Mattioli in April 1976, Bruno
played 'wait-and-see'.

Then, Eckhard Dagge defeated Elisha Obed {June 18, 1976},

* {June 25, 1976} - Bruno Arcari agreed to challenge new Champion - Eckhard Dagge on September 18, 1976

* {August 1, 1976} - Bruno Arcari then opted out claiming weight problems.

* {August 1976 - WBC Ratings} - Bruno Arcari then dropped to #8 WBC while inactive.

* {August 11, 1976} - Eckhard Dagge signed to face #9 WBC-ranked Emile Griffith in New York {September 1976} or Germany {October 1976}.

* {September 1976} - The Eckhard Dagge - Emile Griffith bout was switched to Germany, set for September 18, 1976.

Thanks for the Arcari explanation.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 19:11 

Il Duce wrote:
Mr. Rover,

Bruno Arcari had a lot of bouts that fell through.

In December 1975 - Bruno was the #1 WBC Welterweight, then he moved up
to the Light-Middleweight division.

On April 3, 1976 fought 'conutryman' Rocky Mattioli in a Light-Middleweight Elimination bout,
with the winner to face Elisha Obed {in August 1976}.

But Bruno and Rocky fought to a 10-Round Draw. So they called the proposed bout off.

When Eckhard Dagge defeated Elisha Obed {June 18, 1976}, Bruno was back in the picture
for a Championship bout, but he was having weight problems in July/August 1976 and pulled out
of a potential bout with Eckhard Dagge which would have been for September 1976.

After Eckhard Dagge just got by Emile Griffith {September 18, 1976}, Bruno was supposed to get
the next bout with the WBC Champion, and on November 16, 1976 the bout was tentatively set
for December 18, 1976 in Milan, Italy.

But, Eckhard Dagge changed his mind, and Bruno was supposed to face Emile Griffith on
December 18, 1976 instead in an Elimination bout, with the winner to get Eckhard Dagge
in early-1977.

That bout also never went off. 35 year-old Bruno Arcari then retired in January 1977.

Thanks Duce.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 20:01 

20 rounds in 3 days? Yikes!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 21:12 

Il Duce wrote:
Rover wrote:
20 rounds in 3 days? Yikes!

Mr. Rover,,,,

This is the crazy part, where Elisha was supposedly 'Managed' by Mike Dundee {Florida},
and another Manager {Kevin Smith ?} out of the Bahamas.

Mike Dundee was unaware of what was happening.

Back in late-August 1976, Mike Dundee signed Elisha to fight on the Pete Ashlock Fight Card
in Orlando, Florida, against Victor 'Taco' Perez for Tuesday Night - September 21st.

Elisha was to receive $5000 for his bout against Victor 'Taco' Perez.

In early-September, while Elisha was working out at the 5th Street Gym in Miami Beach to get
ready for Victor 'Taco' Perez - Elisha's representative in the Bahamas signed him to fight Sammy Barr
on Friday Night - September 24th at the Nassua Stadium in the Bahamas on a Wilfed Coakley Promotion,
unaware that Elsiah was fighting on September 21st in Orlando.

Elisha was to receive $4000 plus 20% of the 'Live Gate' for his bout against Sammy Barr.

Both bouts were advertised by the Fight Promoters. Elisha Obed never told either of his Manager's what
the 'Hell' was going on.

Later when it was found out, Elisha said,
"I thought I could take out Victor Perez in a couple of Rounds, and get out of there quick. But, he was a
pretty tough guy who had a solid chin, and he could take a real good punch. He really made you work."

"It was too late to say no to the Promoter in the Bahamas, as they put up the money and advertised the
bout with Sammy and me. My Manager in Nassau took the 'up-front money', and signed the contracts
without me knowing about it. My Manager in Nassua was my friend, and he needed the money. What
was I going to do, as everybody in the Bahamas was looking forward to me fighting Sammy."

"Everything started out well at Nassau Stadium, but by the 4th-Round, my arms were getting tired.
Then I got penalized for a low-blow, and I was afraid to hit Sammy in the body anymore in fear of
getting Disqualified. I gave it all I had in the 6th and 7th Rounds, but after that I had nothing left.
I still thought I won 6 of the Rounds, and with the 1-Point deduction I still should have won."

Wow, that was stupid on his part. He got what he deserved.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 15:16 

Il Duce wrote:
Mr. Rover,

I'll add a more detailed account later, but later in Elisha's career he had '8' Manager/Agent Representatives
at the same time, trying to book fights for him.

In my opinion, by late-1976 he was nearly burnt out, though physically he was still in remarkable shape.

Money wise, he pulled in big bucks for 1976, and he had a nice house built in the Bahamas, where he
was still a Celebrity Star despite losing his Title.

8? Yikes! I've never heard of that with any fighter.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 15:43 

A friend of mine was acquainted with the Miami boxing scene and knew Dundee and people around the promotion at that time. When I mentioned Obed to him, he said he once was talking to Moe Fleischman and asked him why he deteriorated so fast as a fighter. His simple reply was "Broads"..

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 15:51 

Dart340 wrote:
A friend of mine was acquainted with the Miami boxing scene and knew Dundee and people around the promotion at that time. When I mentioned Obed to him, he said he once was talking to Moe Fleischman and asked him why he deteriorated so fast as a fighter. His simple reply was "Broads"..

Romance has been known to cause that.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 16:21 

Il Duce wrote:
Dart340 wrote:

Elisha was also a 'Model' in the Bahamas. He did many Magazine Ads and 'women'.

His favorite phrase was.........."I'm a cool dude with a cool car, with lots of cash."

Wow, that's arrogant.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 18:56 

Il Duce wrote:
January 14, 1977

Article with Elisha Obed and his personal Physician, Fr. Ferdie Pacheco.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... jxHcdEUOSA

Didn't know Ferdie worked with him. Interesting; Ferdie was a crappy broadcaster but worked with some quality fighters in his day.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2013, 21:57 

Il Duce wrote:
Tuesday Night - February 22, 1977

Paul Sauve Arena - Montreal, Canada
* Attendance; 3126
* Live Gate; $43,277

'ELISHA OBED RALLIES LATE, EARNS DRAW WITH JEAN-CLAUDE LECLAIR'

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... ewSV50khMw

Bahamian - Elisha Obed put forth a strong rally over the last 2 1/2 Rounds, to salvage a 10-Round Draw
with the surprisingly tough #1 ranked Canadian Middleweight - Jean-Claude LeClair.

Elisha Obed holds his record at 69-2-4, and earned $8600 for his Ring Performance, but with his poor
performance tonight, he may have dropped out of a rematch with WBC Champion Eckhard Dagge.

Mike Dundee responds,

"I just can't figure it out. 5-Weeks ago Elisha looked fantastic against Fernand Marcotte at The Forum,
who is a far much better fighter than Jean-Claude LeClair. Elisha looked great in the gym and was in
excellent condition coming into the bout."

"Elisha fought well in the 1st-Round, but in the corner after the Round he went into a 'funk' and seemed
disinterested while sitting on his stool. He let himself get banged around pretty good in Rounds 2 and 3,
and really put in no effort to fight back. In Round 5, he hurt LeClair and had him in trouble, and we were
screaming for him to put Jean-Claude away. I yelled that he was blowing the Title Fight."

"He let LeClair get back into the fight in Rounds 6 and 7, and when he came back to the corner after Round 7
I screamed at him, and told him that he had to win the last 3-Rounds or we're done. Elisha fought with his
heart in the last 3-Rounds, and did a number on LeClair, and I thought he pulled it out by 1-Point."

Scorecards
* Judge - Emilien Naudreau....... 48-45 {5-3-2 in Rounds} - Elisha Obed
* Judge - Jean-Marie Pellerin..... 48-48 {2-2-6 in Rounds} - 'Even'
* Judge - Jacques Milhot........... 47-46 {4-3-3 in Rounds} - Jean-Claude LeClair

How does 5-3-2 add up to 48-45?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2013, 22:25 

Il Duce wrote:
My Error.............My Math Skills Have Faded..........Much Like Elisha Obed in 1977........... :lol: