Jim Watt vs Sean O'Grady.... butt or not???.....

For discussions on the great and not so great fighters of the past.

was it a deliberate butt???

yes deiberate butt
71%
no!... accidental clash of heads....
29%

Total votes: 7
silkov

Jim Watt vs Sean O'Grady.... butt or not???.....

Postby silkov » 22 Oct 2007, 15:51

I've been watching the famous/notorious title fight between Jim Watt and Sean O'Grady.... as most will remember Watt had a badly cut eye himself by the midrounds but then there was a headclash which caused a severe cut on O'Gradys forehead and turned the fight into Watts favour as Watt went all out on the attack.... ever since there have been claims that the head clash was a deliberate butt from Watt, but I have to say that having watched this again and again I still think it was accidentail....
what are others views on this fight???.....
mercman

Postby mercman » 22 Oct 2007, 16:03

I haven't seen the fight since but I can remember watching it at the time and I seem to recall it as a fairly obvious butt. I would like to watch it again but certainly the general view at the time - even in British circles - was that Watt 'did him with the heed'.
silkov

Postby silkov » 22 Oct 2007, 18:32

Usually when someone butts an opponent purposely they duck their head before impact, but watts and O'gradys 'butt' seemed to me to be a straight head collision and it was just bad luck that O'Grady came off worst....
mercman

Postby mercman » 23 Oct 2007, 04:03

Maybe. It is a long time since I saw it. I do remember that there was a lot of controversy about this fight at the time though and most people saw it as a butt. Maybe they were swayed by the fact that Watt was coming second until this point and the clash turned things round.
Evander

Postby Evander » 24 Oct 2007, 23:09

Butt
ringsider

Postby ringsider » 25 Oct 2007, 01:44

The only weapon Watt had was his head. He was terrible. But I do give him credit for using the only tool he had to win the fight, his head. :TU: O'Grady was the better fighter in every aspect, except for head butting. :TU:
Woller

Postby Woller » 25 Oct 2007, 01:49

Ler´s say that Watt did not try to avoid the head collition, but invcompetent cornerwork did the rest. When O´grady came back to his corner between rounds gallons of water was poored over his head, making any decent cutwork impossible.

Woller
silkov

Postby silkov » 25 Oct 2007, 10:07

Woller wrote:Ler´s say that Watt did not try to avoid the head collition, but invcompetent cornerwork did the rest. When O´grady came back to his corner between rounds gallons of water was poored over his head, making any decent cutwork impossible.

Woller

Very good point, they made no attempt top staunch the bleeding, or else they had no idea how to do so....
joe kurtz

Postby joe kurtz » 25 Oct 2007, 14:31

silkov wrote:
Woller wrote:Ler´s say that Watt did not try to avoid the head collition, but invcompetent cornerwork did the rest. When O´grady came back to his corner between rounds gallons of water was poored over his head, making any decent cutwork impossible.

Woller

Very good point, they made no attempt top staunch the bleeding, or else they had no idea how to do so....

If I'm not mistaken, ol' "Champ" Thomas was O'Grady's cutman & his work left a LOT to be desired. But he'd been working with Sean's oldman Pat for years & years & Pat was loyal to him. Though I think they went with someone else after the Watt debacle.

"Champ" was helluva charecter, but a world class cutman he was NOT.

Anyone else remember the bloodbath that was Sean's bout with the tough Japanese veteran Shig Fukuyama about two years before the Watt fight? That's STILL at the very top of my list as the goriest fight I've ever seen, almost three full decades later.

Had Pat not also been the head of the commission in Oklahoma City back then as well as the promoter, Sean's manager-trainer & his dad, that fight would've DEFINITELY been stopped & been a TKO win for Fukuyama. Sean's eye was busted WIDE open & the term "bleeding like a stuck pig" was coined for wounds like that one!

Though, as horrific as it was, somehow Sean managed to fight through the mask of blood well enough to drop Fukuyama in the fifth, after which the ref immediately waved the fight off as a KO win for O'Grady even though Fukuyama had gotten to his feet & was able to continue.

What a circus! :o :D

I can't recall if this bout was televised by NBC or CBS that day, but they kept panning in on Sean's mother & his sisters crying at ringside while Sean was trying to fight while spilling at least a pint over the course of the contest. Very dramatic stuff.

As much of an O'Grady fan as I was during his career & as outraged as I was by the blatant butt used by Watt to retain his title that Halloween night in Scotland, I've always thought that just maybe that was karma evening things out for what had happened that day in Oklahoma City to Fukuyama ...
Arbachakov

Postby Arbachakov » 25 Oct 2007, 16:05

I think it was deliberate.

The worst was Dave Mcauley against Fidel Bassa.He nearly knocked out Bassa with a brutal butt to the temple that turned the fight around for him when he was getting his head handed to him.

Return to “Boxers of the past”