U.S. Championships

Amateur boxing & boxers, past & present
holeymoley99
Super Welterweight

Molina

Postby holeymoley99 » 06 Jun 2007, 21:14

Molina keeps winning and winning. What a tournament for the kid. Riley and Downs meet once again in what should be a good finals bout.

Deontay Wilder could have a very bright future, I wonder if any finalist has as few fights as he has had ? The guy is basically a novice but has such great size and power. I wonder if Zimmerman can presnt any kind of challenge to him ? Dennis you know the big guys well what do you think ?
rickyz23
Welterweight

Postby rickyz23 » 06 Jun 2007, 22:08

how do u guys c da daniel lozano vs luis yanez fight
emile
Editor
Editor

Postby emile » 06 Jun 2007, 22:31

June 6 - Women's Championship Bouts
101 lbs/female: Sadie Roberts, Hudson, Iowa dec. Colleen Loo, Mililani, Hawaii, 25-21
106 lbs/female: Marlen Esparza, Houston, Texas dec. Melissa McMurrow, San Francisco, Calif., 23-22
110 lbs/female: Cheryl Houlihan, Norton, Mass. dec. Sky Bell, Moclips, Wash., 29-6
114 lbs/female: Sacred Downing, Trenton, N.J. dec. Johanna Mendez, Houston, Texas, 18-9
119 lbs/female: Christina Cruz, New York, N.Y. dec. Teresa O'Toole, Northridge, Calif., 21-11
125 lbs/female: Stephanie Eggink, Bellingham, Wash., dec. Ana Julaton, San Francisco, Calif., 36-18
132 lbs/female: Caroline Barry, Colorado Springs, Colo. dec. Maimunah Holland, S. Nyack, N.Y., 21-10
138 lbs/female: Queen Underwood, Federal Way, Wash. dec. Christina Reddick, Tulsa, Okla., 33-17
145 lbs/female: Lisa Kuronya, Portland, Maine, stopped Brittany Inkrote, Red Lion, Pa., RSCO-3 (:08)
176 lbs/female: Tyler Lord-Wilder, E. Lansing, Mich. stopped Jaclyn Nichols, Peshtigo, Wis., RSCO-3 (:26)
189 lbs/female: Anne Gibbon, Annapolis, Md. stopped Nikki Cane, Wendell, N.C., RSCO-3 (:33)

Congrats to the female winners. Wish they had an Olympics to look forward to as well :cry:
Last edited by emile on 06 Jun 2007, 23:27, edited 3 times in total.
boxmel
Editor
Editor

Postby boxmel » 06 Jun 2007, 22:57

154 lbs/female: Jackie Davis, Wilinboro, N.J. dec. Grace Parks, Bellingham, Wash., 20-14
165 lbs/female: Franchon Crews, Baltimore, Md. dec. Alanna Huggins, Ft. 176 lbs/female: Tyler Lord-Wilder, E. Lansing, Mich. stopped Jaclyn Nichols, Peshtigo, Wis., RSCO-3 (:26)
189 lbs/female: Anne Gibbon, Annapolis, Md. stopped Nikki Cane, Wendell, N.C., RSCO-3 (:33)
Worth, Texas, 42-36

The best they can hope for is going to a World Championships and/or participating in other international competitions - providing USAB has the money. The women's program is no longer funded by the Foundation
Last edited by boxmel on 07 Jun 2007, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Unit
Welterweight

Postby Unit » 07 Jun 2007, 05:20

& didn't i say raynell was gonna beat hylon.........i thought he beat him pretty easily in the gloves finals...but hey what do i know about boxing?
Recy
Welterweight

USA National Boxing tourney mistake

Postby Recy » 07 Jun 2007, 13:41

I am friends with Terrance Perro who boxes for Ron Lyles at the Red Shield. On Friday Terrance registered, on Saturday he had a bye. Saturday he spoke with Scott Gomez and Jeanne DePriest who informed him that he did not fight until Monday. Trusting Scott’s judgment from looking at the bracket 5-6 times, Terrance did not go to weigh-ins on Sunday morning. We had rented a hotel about 2 minutes away from UCCS. Sunday morning about 9 Scott calls Terrance to tell him he has been disqualified and how he was so sorry he made that mistake, as he read the bracket wrong because there are no fights on Thursday. As you can imagine Terrance was crushed. His dream to reach the Olympics was just shattered by trusting the regional director. On top of this no phone call was ever made. No one called the coach, Ron Lyles, or the phone number on Terrance’s paperwork. As we were staying so close we could have been there in 2 minutes!

When I found out about the mistake we immediately drove back down to the springs in which we were told very quickly there was nothing we could do. I spoke with a couple of officials that stated we could file a grievance. When I asked an official who had been running the coaches meeting on Friday she stated we cannot file a grievance as no rule had been broken. However upon reading the rule book today I found several instances where he deserves a hearing and should have been “provided fair notice and an opportunity for a hearing to any amateur athlete, coach……before declaring such individual ineligible to participate.”

My question is how does this even happen? It was a small mistake by a regional director who by the way did the same exact thing to a Colorado girl boxer also at the same tourney. This man was fully of apologies but obviously should not be advising anyone. But how is there no recourse to fix something so small? How can you crush someone’s dream and completely deny him recourse?
boxmel
Editor
Editor

Postby boxmel » 07 Jun 2007, 15:49

Recy - was the boxer or his coach at the draw? Normally the draw is mandatory for coaches so they can verify if the boxer is there or not. Did his coach see the brackets? (They should have been posted for everyone to check - as well as the next day's bout sheet.) Unless the coach/boxer were specifically told by Scotty to NOT be at the draw, it is the ultimate responsibility of the coach to find out when his boxer is competing. It is not the responsiblity of the staff to track down a boxer missing at weigh-ins. I'm also curious as to what you found in the rule book that would have allowed a grievance to be filed.
jpm1978
Welterweight

Postby jpm1978 » 07 Jun 2007, 17:23

Unit wrote:& didn't i say raynell was gonna beat hylon.........i thought he beat him pretty easily in the gloves finals...but hey what do i know about boxing?

Yo "Unit" you dawg are the man! :TU: Good pick, and since you were able to view da´1st fight...you knew your stuff! :TU:
jpm1978
Welterweight

Postby jpm1978 » 07 Jun 2007, 17:27

Dennis wrote:David Clark v. Sammy DiPace. They both threw hard shots in the first round with David having the better of it in the round. I believe he would have had a lead of a few points. They both got hit by some hard shots in the first round. In the 2nd round, they both went out and went all out and David landed a perfect right hand and Sammy went down hard. He got up after 3 or 4 wobbled on shake legs, but was able to stand with his hands up and show the ref that he was ready to go. I didn't think he was ready. His legs looked shaky. David charged at him and threw a few punches that just grazed Sammy and Sammy went back down and the ref stopped it. It was a good stoppage. Sammy is young and good. He will be back in the future.

dipace needs to take care cuz he can be KO´ed....just ask marroqueen of texas who stopped dipace a few years ago at da´silver gloves. :lol:
Dennis
Welterweight

Postby Dennis » 08 Jun 2007, 00:28

boxmel wrote:Recy - was the boxer or his coach at the draw? Normally the draw is mandatory for coaches so they can verify if the boxer is there or not. Did his coach see the brackets? (They should have been posted for everyone to check - as well as the next day's bout sheet.) Unless the coach/boxer were specifically told by Scotty to NOT be at the draw, it is the ultimate responsibility of the coach to find out when his boxer is competing. It is not the responsiblity of the staff to track down a boxer missing at weigh-ins. I'm also curious as to what you found in the rule book that would have allowed a grievance to be filed.

Mel - the brackets were posted on the USAB website for everyone in the world to see. The bout sheets were posted at the HQ hotel and at UCCS every night. Most coaches check and double check the bout sheets to make sure if their boxer(s) are boxing and need to be at the weigh-ins. At many tournaments I will go to the weigh-in just to make sure that the bout sheet wasn't changed. I can go and double check and if necessary go get my boxer(s) and bring them in time. I don't think I have ever had a boxer DQ'd because they failed to make it to the weigh-in. I am always nervous that something will happen so I set several alarms plus a wake-up call, get up early and get to the weigh-in so that I don't have any boxers that get DQ'd for not showing up to the weigh-in.
Dennis
Welterweight

Re: Molina

Postby Dennis » 08 Jun 2007, 00:43

holeymoley99 wrote:Molina keeps winning and winning. What a tournament for the kid. Riley and Downs meet once again in what should be a good finals bout.

Deontay Wilder could have a very bright future, I wonder if any finalist has as few fights as he has had ? The guy is basically a novice but has such great size and power. I wonder if Zimmerman can presnt any kind of challenge to him ? Dennis you know the big guys well what do you think ?

I talked to Deontay Wilder for a long time yesterday. He said that he has 17 bouts and has been boxing for 1.5 years. He isn't as polished as some boxers, but he is strong. He is 6'7" with long arms. He is well spoken and a good guy. One of his weaknesses is that he gets tired in the 3rd and 4th rounds maybe because he doesn't have the experience so he doesn't relax and breathe properly. I don't know the reason for sure.
Yesterday morning, I discussed his opponents with him - Willett and Zimmerman (I also discussed Guzman, but figured Zimmerman would win). Deontay now knows that Zimmerman is a southpaw, strong, in good shape and relentless. Zimmerman is going to face a huge height and reach disadvantage. Jimmy will have to get by Deontay's jab and avoid running into that big right hand. If Jimmy is successful at frequently getting inside Deontay's reach, he will will. If he isn't able to do it often, he will not beat Deontay. I look forward to a very interesting bout.
Last edited by Dennis on 09 Jun 2007, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis
Welterweight

Postby Dennis » 08 Jun 2007, 00:47

rickyz23 wrote:how do u guys c da daniel lozano vs luis yanez fight

I see Yanez winning this bout, but it could be relatively close.
emile
Editor
Editor

Postby emile » 08 Jun 2007, 10:02

For the record, Warren tore up Ibarra within two rounds and moved into the finals.

Ibarra is only 16, so good on him for making the Trials. One for the future after Rau'Shee has moved on.
Dennis
Welterweight

Postby Dennis » 08 Jun 2007, 12:24

Rau'shee Warren is so far above every other U.S. boxer in his division. I don't see him having a close bout until the World Championships. I'm glad they are in Chicago so that I can go and watch.
emile
Editor
Editor

Postby emile » 08 Jun 2007, 12:31

You can make the argument the he's the only truly world class amateur for the US, and the ease in which he destroys everyone is a bit chilling. His quality has to be the target for every other US boxer, if they are going to compete with the best Cubans and Russians.
boxmel
Editor
Editor

Postby boxmel » 08 Jun 2007, 13:25

I'm looking forward to seeing how Rau'shee does against world-class Cubans and the Eastern European boxers. :o I realize he was younger in the 2004 Olympics, but he did lose to China in his first bout, 22-9.
emile
Editor
Editor

Postby emile » 08 Jun 2007, 14:35

Well Zou Shiming went on to win the bronze and then won the 2005 World Championships - and I'd imagine is a lock to win gold in 2008 at 48kg. Rau'Shee also lost to Lee Ok-Sung at the 2005 Worlds, so I think his toughest competition may be coming from Asia. Lee didn't do well at the 2006 Asian Games though, and Violito Payla of the Philippines won.

Warren has already beaten the Russian Balakshine two years ago and Yoandry Salinas from Cuba only beat Qa'id Muhammad by 10 points in the Pan-Am Qualifiers. I'm not sure what Andry Laffita is doing - he may have moved down to 48kg?
emile
Editor
Editor

Postby emile » 08 Jun 2007, 14:49

Rau'Shee is the National Champion, again. Aaron Alafa has been ruled out of the final with fractured ribs.
boxmel
Editor
Editor

Postby boxmel » 08 Jun 2007, 15:14

Bummer! Wonder how AJ's ribs were fractured - and hope he'll be healed in time for the Box-offs. :(
emile
Editor
Editor

Postby emile » 08 Jun 2007, 22:02

I'll update as they come in....
(Alafa apparently got hurt in his fight with Franklin - also hoping he can make it back for the Trials)

106 lbs/48 kg: Luis Yanez, Duncanville, Texas dec. Daniel Lozano, Bowling Green, Fla., 19-8
112 lbs/51 kg: Rau'shee Warren, Cincinnati, Ohio won on medical disqualification over Aaron Alafa, Visalia, Calif., DQ
119 lbs/54 kg: Ronny Rios, Santa Ana, Calif., dec. David Clark, San Diego, Calif., 25-14
125 lbs/57 kg: Raynell Williams, Cleveland, Ohio dec. Rico Ramos, Los Angeles, Calif., 16-9
132 lbs/60 kg: Diego Magdaleno, Las Vegas, Nev., dec. Jerry Belmontes, Corpus Christi, Texas, 13-12
141 lbs/64 kg: Javier Molina, Commerce, Calif., dec. Brad Solomon, Douglasville, Ga., 17-13
152 lbs/69 kg: Charles Hatley, Dallas, Texas stopped Mahlon Kerwick, Fort Carson, Colo., RSCO-2 (2:00)
165 lbs/75 kg: Fernando Guerrero, Salisbury, Md., dec. Shawn Porter, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, 33-17
178 lbs/91 kg: Christopher Downs, Fort Carson, Colo., dec. Yathomas Riley, San Diego, Calif., 28-14
201 lbs/91 kg: Deontay Wilder, Tuscaloosa, Ala., dec. James Zimmerman, San Jose, Calif., 31-15
holeymoley99
Super Welterweight

Thanks

Postby holeymoley99 » 09 Jun 2007, 00:23

Dennis, thanks for the personal insight on Wilder. I have read a few articles on him and saw a bout as well as sparring session online. Appears to have a real big upside and seems very grounded on his quick success as well. Looking at the score over Zimmerman in the finals I'm guessing his jab worked well and he didnt tire too much tonight.
emile
Editor
Editor

Postby emile » 09 Jun 2007, 02:06

I think someone at USAB went to bed without updating the 201+ result, but the local paper has reported that Mike Hunter beat Mike Wilson.
Dennis
Welterweight

Re: Thanks

Postby Dennis » 09 Jun 2007, 02:58

holeymoley99 wrote:Dennis, thanks for the personal insight on Wilder. I have read a few articles on him and saw a bout as well as sparring session online. Appears to have a real big upside and seems very grounded on his quick success as well. Looking at the score over Zimmerman in the finals I'm guessing his jab worked well and he didnt tire too much tonight.

Wrong. Deontay built a huge lead after 2 rounds, but was very tired and hung on a lot in the 3rd and 4th. zimmerman gave Deontay 2 or 3 8 counts in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Deontay still landed scoring blows in those 2 rounds. Zimmerman also got tired after the 3rd round.
Dennis
Welterweight

Postby Dennis » 09 Jun 2007, 03:04

emile wrote:I think someone at USAB went to bed without updating the 201+ result, but the local paper has reported that Mike Hunter beat Mike Wilson.

Yes, Hunter did defeat Wilson in a very close bout.
boxmel
Editor
Editor

Postby boxmel » 09 Jun 2007, 10:35

USAB forgot to update the results but reported on the bout on their web page. Hunter beat Wilson 25-24. That's close! Can't wait to see them at the Box-offs! :box:

Return to “Amateur Boxing”