Kenny's Order

£258.58

Adidas Boxing 'PERFORMER' Boxing Head Guard 'Gel' CE

£73.99

Swelter Premier Sauna Sweat Suit

£49.99

Post subject: Felix Savon Stopped
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 20:39 

Taking a taxi ride the other day I had a conversation with the driver and the subject of Felix Savon came up. He brought up some interesting facts one of them being that Savon has been stopped before in the amateurs more than once he didn't mention any names but he said he saw him get stopped on television. Didn't get a chance to translate the tournament names from spanish to english from Pedrinet. I wonder which fight it was the only one I could possibly see that was televised was the one with the Russian as the other 3 happened in Cuba but who knows.

I put some links to fights I posted from fights I collected over the years with Savon. You guys could check out they are scattered all over youtube so I just put them all to links on my site. If anyone knows which fight was televised shoot a pm over my way I would love to add it to the collection.

Twice by Juan DELIS CAUSSE (CUB) 10 octubre 1986 Campeonato Nacional por Equipos. Savon avenged that defeat in June of 87 in Santa Clara, Cuba W-3 (5-0) at the XX Torneo Internacional "Giraldo Córdova Cardín". These two didn't meet again for 9 years when Savon stopped Juan in the 3rd at the XXIX Torneo Internacional "Giraldo Córdova Cardín" which took place April of 96 in Camagüey. Causse came back the next year at the XXXVI Campeonato Nacional "Playa Girón" February 3rd, 1997 in Holguín and stopped Felix again during the 2nd round at the 1:35 mark. Savon went on to beat Causse at the Match Nacional de Retadores (8-5-97 Havana W5)and XXXVI Campeonato Nacional "Playa Girón" (2-3-98 Villa Clara W5-19-6). So the final score between these arch-rivals 3-2 Savon with Savon stopping Causse once and Juan stopping Felix twice.

Dal-Chen Li (RPK) stopped Savon in the first round in Sliwen, BUL junio 1989 at the VII Espartaquiada de los Ejércitos Amigos. Not too much information on Dal Chen Li but RPK stands for Ruchnoy Pulemyot Kalashnikova, Russian.

Noel Perez Bio (CUB) stopped Savon in the 2nd on 4-25-99 in Havana at the Torneo de Campeones de Cuba. Felix avenged that loss twice over their 2nd meeting took place less than two months later on 6-22-99 in Villa Clara with a win by a score of 15-3 over 4 rounds at the XXXII Torneo Internacional "Giraldo Córdova Cardín" Savon went into the 3rd meeting with the edge the day was 6-13 of the next year and the fight was close 6-4 Savon on top and a spot on the 2000 olympic team. This was surely a great rivalry on paper just imagine if footage existed of these bouts.

(IBID. Link1)

Savon, Felix
Michael Bennett (a)
Sultan Ibragimov (a)
David Defiagbon (a)
Lamont Brewster (a)
Tom Glesby (a)
Kirk Johnson II (a)
David Tua (a)
DaVarryl Williamson (a)
Dannell Nicholson (a)
Shannon Briggs (a)
David Izon ( Izonritei ) (a)
Ruslan Chagaev I (a)
Andrei Kurnyavka (a)
Luan Krasniqi (a)
Bae-Chae Sung (a)
Juan Diaz Nieves (a)
Robert Geer (a)
Santiago Palavecino (a)
Hestetus Bethevecus (a)
Michael Bentt I (a)
Christophe Mendy (a)
Georgi Kandelaki (a)
Rasmus Ojemaye (a)
Georgi Kandelaki (a)
Kevin Evans (a)
Sebastian Koeber (a)

Post subject: Re: Felix Savon Stopped
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 22:44 
Editor
Editor

Quote:
Taking a taxi ride the other day I had a conversation with the driver and the subject of Felix Savon came up. He brought up some interesting facts one of them being that Savon has been stopped before in the amateurs more than once

Yes - and have heard that at least one, if not more, were during the Cuban National Championships. I believe he was H'd but the suspension was done so that he could compete in either the Worlds, or the Olympics - can't remember which. Savon was picked over the boxer who beat him because of his amateur record and stature. JMac might know more.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2009, 14:00 

Savon has been stopped several times but most of those times were when he was very young and fought older opponents. Since he began fighting internationally in 1984 he has been stopped five times in 16 years:
In 1986 against Juan Carlos Delis Causse at the Cuban National Team Championships. Interestingly Delis knocked out Savon again in 1997, eleven years later. However Savon has beaten Delis like 11 or 12 times and stopped him in roughly half of those bouts. Delis was a murderous puncher (think Earnie Shavers) but not as skilled as Savon and was mostly outboxed when they fought.
The pedrinet record of Savon is by no way supposed to be a full record but it records all known bouts of Savon and other top amateurs.

In 1987 Savon was stopped by russian Urslan Arsaliyev.

In 1989 he was knocked out by North Korean Dal-Chen Li. That one I have seen. Savon knocked Li down and as he was going for the kill he was countered right on the chin and went down and out. That was a one in a million shot. (PRK stands for People´s Republic of Korea).

In 1999 Savon was knocked out by Noel Perez Bio. By then Savon had slipped and not many thought he would hang on to win his third olympic gold more than one year later.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 09:13 
Editor
Editor

Savon was stopped about sixteen times as an amateur.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 13:57 

enrique wrote:
Savon was stopped about sixteen times as an amateur.

From where did you get those numbers? Savon had 21 losses and about half of them were stoppages. I´d guess that he had around 10-12 stoppage losses. Five of them in his last 15 years as a fighter.