BoxRec
It is currently 29 Dec 2014, 04:59

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: John Duddy Mistake
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 08:31 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 08:24
Posts: 7
Location: Derry City
Hey everyone here, this is an excellent forum, been looking over it for a while and im very impressed, keep up the good work :)

I was looking through the fight records for alot of boxers and decided to look at John Duddys, ( i know him and his family extremely well, we all drink together and are very good friends) and everything looked well and right eccept for 1 thing, hes not British as it says here, his Nationality is Irish, thats whats in all his bios and he has an Irish passport not a british one and more importantly thats what the man says himself.

The owners here may have thought that because he was born in the North of Ireland that that means hes british? You have a choice here, either your british or Irish, you have the choice of either passport and either citizenship.

I hope that all came out right as i didnt want to sound like a jackass or anything i just wanted the mods/admin here to know that so they could maybe update it or something.

Keep up the good work :D :TU:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Duddy Mistake
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 08:33 

Joined: 08 Aug 2005, 20:41
Posts: 872
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
PaulMoore wrote:
Hey everyone here, this is an excellent forum, been looking over it for a while and im very impressed, keep up the good work :)

I was looking through the fight records for alot of boxers and decided to look at John Duddys, ( i know him and his family extremely well, we all drink together and are very good friends) and everything looked well and right eccept for 1 thing, hes not British as it says here, his Nationality is Irish, thats whats in all his bios and he has an Irish passport not a british one and more importantly thats what the man says himself.

The owners here may have thought that because he was born in the North of Ireland that that means hes british? You have a choice here, either your british or Irish, you have the choice of either passport and either citizenship.

I hope that all came out right as i didnt want to sound like a jackass or anything i just wanted the mods/admin here to know that so they could maybe update it or something.

Keep up the good work :D :TU:


This has been addressed many times. If you go into the records section of this site, I'm sure you'll get a proper explanation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: John Duddy Mistake
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 08:55 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 08:24
Posts: 7
Location: Derry City
scottmallon wrote:
This has been addressed many times. If you go into the records section of this site, I'm sure you'll get a proper explanation.


Thanks, i did the search, and i read quite a few threads, but the bottom line is that yous are wrong on the matter.

The thing about N.Ireland is that you have a choice unlike Britain, here your either Irish or your British, you have an Irish passport or you have a British passport, i was born and bread in Derry and im Irish, i have an Irish passport which states my nationality is Irish.

I do want to have a civilized discussion about this because after reading some of them threads in the record forum it seems that some people in britain dont relise some things about here, just becuase you are born in N.Ireland does not make you british, why do you think the new N.Ireland council here now is called the British-Irish council? I know alot about N.Ireland and it seems that some people in britain are a little confused on the subject.

But there is no way anyone can dance around the subject, if they only do some research they will see that they are very wrong.

I would like the mods/admin and some right thinking people to give some thoughts on it and if anyone is thinking off jumping in and shouting oh hes in an accupied country so hes Irish or no he lives in Londonderry UK there for hes british then just grow up the lot of yous.

The bottom line is hes Irish, thats his nationality, thats what he has choosen and i think it would be a good thing if the admin he respected that as if he had of choosen british then that would have been his choice and people would have had to agree with that too, but the fact is hes Irish.

So could any of the admin here have a rational discussion on the matter so maybe we could try and work things out?

Thanks everyone :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 08:58 

Joined: 12 Oct 2005, 10:51
Posts: 1195
Location: Kung Fu Fighting
Does it really matter? Is this really worth putting that much more effort into?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 09:03 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 08:24
Posts: 7
Location: Derry City
Mattyp151 wrote:
Does it really matter? Is this really worth putting that much more effort into?


It does matter in a way, its like saying hes American, or hes austrailian or hes any other nationality other than Irish.

It just doesent make sence to tell people that hes a certain nationality when hes not.

If you search his name you will see that hes Irish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 09:15 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 09:10
Posts: 27
Well said Paul.
You are 100% correct on what you say and its very unprofessional for the moderators to ignore this. Facts are facts and John Duddy is Irish so what is the problem Mr Moderator? I am offended by your ignorance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 09:24 

Joined: 12 Oct 2005, 10:51
Posts: 1195
Location: Kung Fu Fighting
IrishPaddy wrote:
Well said Paul.
You are 100% correct on what you say and its very unprofessional for the moderators to ignore this. Facts are facts and John Duddy is Irish so what is the problem Mr Moderator? I am offended by your ignorance.


I'm offended that we have to put up with another topic on this


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 09:36 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 09:10
Posts: 27
Blame the moderators for the need to repeat ourselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 10:59 

Joined: 20 Apr 2005, 22:55
Posts: 3
Location: Chicago
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=213891&cat=boxer

boxer: John Duddy
nationality Irish
alias Ireland's John Duddy
sex male
residence New York, NY, USA
birth place Derry, N.Ireland
birth name John Francis Duddy
division middleweight
stance orthodox
height 5′ 11″
reach 74
birth date 1979-06-19


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 12:33 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 08:24
Posts: 7
Location: Derry City
TrakNSok wrote:
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=213891&cat=boxer

boxer: John Duddy
nationality Irish
alias Ireland's John Duddy
sex male
residence New York, NY, USA
birth place Derry, N.Ireland
birth name John Francis Duddy
division middleweight
stance orthodox
height 5′ 11″
reach 74
birth date 1979-06-19


Thanks for the link and i wish to also thank all the mods and admin here who read this thread and listened to some talk before making the dission.

Thats why i love this forum, good mods, good admin, and generally nice people, some people got mixed up about John Duddy and its fixed now so no harm done.

This should be the end of this subject altogether and lets just talk boxing from now on!

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 12:36 
Editor
Editor

Joined: 06 Jun 2003, 08:53
Posts: 1121
Location: Rip City
Don't worry, he'll be British again soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 12:50 
try IRA, the NRA is the National Rifle Association, at least here in the states


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 12:52 

Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 13:58
Posts: 53
what does this have to do with the rifle asociation ?
is charlton heston a duddy fan ?...
northern ireland is part of the united kingdom - thats a fact..
the irish republic is an independent state - thats a fact..
i guess the issue here is affiliation. which state you affiliate to..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 12:57 
Let's not go over this again!!!!

Does anyone else think it's strange that Irishpaddy and Paul Moore both join boxrec on the same day,to complain about Duddy's nationality(it's been done to death..and then some)

Irishpaddy/Paul Moore(one and the same I reckon)Boxrec records are'nt official.
You know what nationality Duddy is,as does he.
Don't let it bother you "both" :TU:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 15:50 

Joined: 16 Dec 2006, 03:01
Posts: 33
Actually they're not the only ones it bothers. I myself have Canadian AND Irish citizenship, I lived in Belfast until I was 14. I know for a fact (I have an Irish passport, NOT a British one) that the laws in Ireland state that anybody born ON the island of Ireland (that includes Ireland and Northern Ireland) is AUTOMATICALLY considered an Irish citizen. Same applies for anybody who has at least one parent born on the island of Ireland. How can somebody from Northern Ireland be "British" when they're not even a part of Britain? Part of the UK yes, but not Britain - that's why the UK is called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland".

From the Belfast Agreement in 1998:

The two governments recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

How would you Americans feel if people called you Canadian? You'd probably get pretty upset. Because it's not true. This is a simple issue with a simple resolution, Duddy quite plainly refers to himself as Irish and NOT British, therefore I would assume he chose to take Irish citizenship. Let's not call him something he isn't.

Thank you and good night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 15:57 

Joined: 17 Dec 2004, 13:27
Posts: 6413
Location: USA
Back to British :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 15:59 

Joined: 06 Mar 2006, 13:14
Posts: 632
Location: Houston, Texas....... I was a Chelsea Fan before Abramovich I swear
Mattyp151 wrote:
Does it really matter? Is this really worth putting that much more effort into?


Whats if they said Floyd Mayweather was actually Mexican, what then Matty?

Image


Nevermind


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 16:10 

Joined: 12 Oct 2005, 10:51
Posts: 1195
Location: Kung Fu Fighting
JAHamilton77 wrote:
Mattyp151 wrote:
Does it really matter? Is this really worth putting that much more effort into?


Whats if they said Floyd Mayweather was actually Mexican, what then Matty?

Image


Nevermind


VIVA LA MEXICO!!!

Hopefully Duddy can step up his competition and get knocked the fvck out so people stop giving this so much attention.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 16:55 
Editor
Editor

Joined: 28 Dec 2001, 20:00
Posts: 1825
Location: Seattle, WA
The only guys who seem to make a big fuss about their nationality are those who use it to further their careers, or their nationalistic fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 16:57 

Joined: 04 Sep 2006, 11:07
Posts: 4806
Location: The river forgives no man
tegenm wrote:
The only guys who seem to make a big fuss about their nationality are those who use it to further their careers, or their nationalistic fans.


Nationalism is often a reaction to a percieved threat - to language, to culture, to standard of living. Nationalism is not a dirty word.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 19:18 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 08:24
Posts: 7
Location: Derry City
Come on everyone, lets not bring political stuff into this, i only started this thread so that the mods/admin and good thinking people can talk, not people jumping on mad polictical bandwagons like the jackass up above who started saying that N.Ireland is apart of the UK and the guy who shouted up the NRA whatever that meant, we dont need crap like that in a discussion like this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 19:21 

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 08:24
Posts: 7
Location: Derry City
Also i see that someone of the admin/mods changed it back to British??


What mod/admin done that? Can you come out here and show yourself? And i dont mean that in a confrontasional way, i just wanted to talk about why your trying to lie to everyone and say that John Duddy is something he is not???

I really dont understand this at all, this is the only place that is listing him as british, its an insult to that man, thats exactly what it is, not the fact that hes being called british, he could be called any nationality here and that would be an insult as hes Irish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 20:00 

Joined: 12 Oct 2005, 10:51
Posts: 1195
Location: Kung Fu Fighting
PaulMoore wrote:
Also i see that someone of the admin/mods changed it back to British??


What mod/admin done that? Can you come out here and show yourself? And i dont mean that in a confrontasional way, i just wanted to talk about why your trying to lie to everyone and say that John Duddy is something he is not???

I really dont understand this at all, this is the only place that is listing him as british, its an insult to that man, thats exactly what it is, not the fact that hes being called british, he could be called any nationality here and that would be an insult as hes Irish.


Honestly, don't care if he was a fellow Namibian to Harry Simon, doesn't make Duddy a better or worse fighter. Drop and leave it alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 20:02 
Editor
Editor

Joined: 28 Dec 2001, 20:00
Posts: 1825
Location: Seattle, WA
This has been discussed to death, and I suggest you go back and read up on the debate. We are not going to rehash this everytime some new user or sockpuppet brings it up. I was the one who changed him back, because that is the consensus we agreed upon earlier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 20:02 
I'm officially requesting that those running this site change Duddy's nationality listing back to Irish, lock it, and stop those other mods with editing priviliges from being immature asses.

I'm sick of this already.

Get it right, and lock the listing.

If not, then track down the mod who keeps changing it and take away his status permanently.


Joe A.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: