1889-11-11 Peter Jackson w disq 2 (10) Jem Smith, New Pelican Club, Soho, London, England

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Jump to: navigation, search

1889-11-11 Peter Jackson w disq 2 (10) Jem Smith, New Pelican Club, Soho, London, England. Referee: George Vize. After several pre-fight disputes the boxing finally got underway, being fast and furious with Jackson holding the upper hand. At the end of the first round Smith looked as though he had already taken a beating. Not letting up, after starting the second session Jackson produced even more powerful hitting. Barely able to land a punch Smith was being overwhelmed, and having back-heeled and thrown Jackson he was quite rightly disqualified. Although there was no championship billing attached, Jackson had much credibility as the ‘black’ champion at the time. He also claimed the Imperial British Empire title on the result.

A few weeks later, on 23 December, Smith took part in the last of the big bare-knuckle contests when meeting Paddy Slavin in Bruges, Belgium. With Smith on the verge of defeat, when his supporters broke the fight up a draw was announced after 14 rounds.

On 7 February 1890, at the Gaiety Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland, Charlie Mitchell outpointed the 58-year-old Jem Mace over four rounds in what was advertised as being for the English championship. In reality it was nothing of the kind, being merely a publicity stunt, and following the event the pair went on a sparring exhibition of the country. Mace would have lasting fame as the undefeated holder of the London Prize Ring title.

Meanwhile, after defeating the English champion Jackson had a run of victories over men such as Woolf Bendoff, Peter Maher and Denver Ed Smith before setting sail for America where he would meet America’s James J. Corbett in a finish fight at the California AC, San Francisco, California on 21 May 1891. The contest was stopped during the 61st round by Hiram Cook, the referee, and declared to be a no-contest after there had been no knockdowns and both men were extremely tired and stalling. Prior to the fight the newspapers were reporting that the result would open the way to settling the question of the championship of the world, as it was generally understood that the winner would eventually meet Slavin or any other man who might come forward now that John L. Sullivan was thought to have retired.