1912-06-29 (160lbs) Billy Papke w rtd 16 (20) Marcel Moreau, The Circus, Paris, France

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Jump to: navigation, search

1912-06-29 (160lbs) Billy Papke w rtd 16 (20) Marcel Moreau, The Circus, Paris, France. Billed for the title at 160lbs, having made the weight at the second attempt Papke (160) was shocked when Moreau (157¾) dropped him in the opening session with a terrific right to the jaw. It would have been better for Moreau to have stuck to his boxing, but after looking to swap blows in the second he was put down, and when continuing in the same vein he was floored again in the eighth. Having looked tired in the ninth, after Moreau came back strongly to take the tenth he battered away at Papke for the next four rounds, looking very much a likely winner. Hurt at the end of the 14th after being caught low, Moreau then began to come apart at the seams in the 15th, being twice dropped heavily. Despite getting back to his corner and being worked on during the interval, when the bell rang for the 16th to commence Moreau was retired on his stool.

Back in America, having just met Leo Houck (nd-l pts 6 at the Olympia AC, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 27 September) at 160lbs, Papke was booked to meet Frank Mantell at the New Star Casino, Manhattan, NYC, New York on 1 October 1912. Reported by the promoters as being a no-decision title bout over ten rounds, according to Mantell both he and Papke had been passed fit by the doctor and were waiting to go to the ring when the latter said he was going out to buy some smelling salts and never returned. Papke’s excuses of hurting himself on the day of the fight and that the gate was too small to pay good money did not wear with the New York Boxing Commission, who suspended him immediately.

Already on his way to fight Georges Carpentier in France, the Commission wrote to the French Federation of Boxing Clubs asking them to support the suspension of Papke before stating that they would be recognising Mantell as the champion on 10 October. In response to being asked to uphold the suspension of Papke, the Federation replied that although they were in harmony with the New York Boxing Commission they were unable to take action against the latter as contracts for the Carpentier fight had already been signed.