1924-03-31 Mike McTigue nd-l pts 12 Young Stribling, 113th Regiment Armory, Newark, New Jersey, USA - NY/NBA/GB

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Jump to: navigation, search

1924-03-31 Mike McTigue nd-l pts 12 Young Stribling, 113th Regiment Armory, Newark, New Jersey, USA - NY/NBA/GB. Referee: Hank Lewis. Following on from their previous fiasco, Stribling (165) was looking to set the record straight this time round, but although he decked McTigue (166½) with a terrific right cross to the jaw in the tenth round he was unable to keep the champion down.

McTigue had been clearly outpointed in every round according to Nat Fleischer, of The Ring magazine, who went on to say: “It was a travesty that the champion was able to keep his title as Stribling had been superior in every aspect”. The general feeling was that champions should only be defending their titles in States where decisions could be given.

In early October McTigue was suspended by the NYSAC for repeatedly ignoring its requests to defend against a legitimate challenger, namely Gene Tunney, having demanded fabulous sums and evaded one issue after another. The Commission stipulated that McTigue, who was thinking of taking on the inexperienced Paul Berlenbach, would have to defend against Tunney first before he could fight in New York again.

Meantime, Tunney met Georges Carpentier in what some papers called a defence of the former’s American title. With Carpentier being a Frenchman it was hardly that, although it was certainly seen as an eliminator for McTigue’s title. In a contest where Carpentier seemed to have been struck in the groin, Tunney stopped his rival in the 15th round at the Polo Grounds, Manhattan, NYC, New York on 24 July. Prior to stepping up to heavyweight Tunney took on the middleweight champion, Harry Greb (nd-drew 10 at the Olympic Arena, Cleveland, Ohio on 17 September), and Harry Foley (nd-w rsc 1 at The Auditorium, Memphis, Tennessee on 24 October). Both matches were contested inside 175lbs and appear to be the last at the weight for Tunney.

Earlier, on 12 May, Bob Lawson took over Kid Norfolk’s ‘black’ title claim when beating the latter, albeit by a second-round disqualification verdict at the Broadway Auditorium, Buffalo, New York in a six-round contest. A growing fighter Lawson (179) was soon up among the heavyweights, but not before knocking Norfolk (180) out inside a round at the Commonwealth SC, Manhattan, NYC, New York on 14 March 1925.