1926-09-23 Gene Tunney w pts 10 Jack Dempsey, Sesquicentennial Stadium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WORLD

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Jump to: navigation, search

1926-09-23 Gene Tunney w pts 10 Jack Dempsey, Sesquicentennial Stadium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WORLD. Referee: Pop Riley. Fought in a rainstorm, Tunney (189½) adapted to the prevailing conditions far better than Dempsey (190), who was sorely ring-rusty. The fight was a promotional success with no fewer than 120,000 plus fans turning out in anticipation of Tunney being put to sleep. Fighting on the back foot and stepping in when needed Tunney fought a brainy, technical battle over the whole ten rounds that left Dempsey shorn of his title. Moving well, while in the main evading Dempsey’s wild swings, Tunney, who boxed on the counter, was only once in real trouble when he was caught in the sixth round by a solid left hook to the jaw that almost felled him. But sticking to his boxing the challenger continued to ram the left into Dempsey’s face, with the occasional right thrown in for good measure, and at the end of the ninth it was the champion who was the one suffering most. By now Dempsey’s left eye was almost closed, and into the tenth it was Tunney who was looking to finish matters as he smashed heavy rights in to the champion’s head. At the final bell it was clear as to who had won in the eyes of the referee. Tunney’s victory had not only turned the heavyweight division on its head, but had also proved that skill could overcome power.

On 29 September, it was announced that Harry Wills would be meeting Jack Sharkey, who had recently outpointed George Godfrey over ten rounds at the Mechanics’ Building, Boston, Massachusetts on 21 September. Paddy Mullins, Wills’ manager, criticized Dempsey for sidestepping his man for five years, and then Tunney for indicating that he too would also be drawing the ‘Colour Line’. Although Wills had, up to a point, remained active while all the hassles with Dempsey were going on the damage had been done, and at the age of 37 he was beaten by the future champion, Sharkey, when suffering a 13th-round disqualification defeat at the Ebbets Field, Brooklyn, NYC, New York on 12 October.

Having overcome Wills, Sharkey next defeated Homer Smith and Mike McTigue, the former light heavyweight champion, before eliminating Jim Maloney (w rsc 5 at the Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NYC on 20 May 1927). The win over Maloney effectively took Sharkey to the top of the pile, but with Dempsey angling for a return with Tunney it was obvious that the pair should come together in a final eliminator. Matched by Tex Rickard and contested on 21 July 1927 at the Yankee Stadium, Dempsey earned the right to meet Tunney again when he knocked out Sharkey (who was complaining to the referee at the time) inside seven rounds, but not before the former champion had been badly hurt himself in the first session.

With coloured fighting men still feeling that they were not getting a fair crack of the whip, George Godfrey won the unofficial vacant ‘black’ heavyweight title when stopping Larry Gains inside six rounds (at the Broadway Auditorium, Buffalo, New York on 8 November 1926), before successfully defending against Bearcat Wright (nc 10 at the Armory, Portland, Oregon on 23 November), Cowboy Billy Owens (w rsc 8 at the Coliseum, Chicago, Illinois on 3 December), Leon Chevalier (w co 4 Wrigley Field, Los Angeles, California on 18 April 1927), Long Tom Hawkins (w co 7 at The Coliseum, San Diego, California on 13 May), Jake Kilrain (w pts 10 at The Arena, Culver City, California on 23 June) and Neal Clisby (w co 7 at the Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles on 5 July) prior to the second Tunney v Dempsey fight. Chevalier would later achieve notoriety when losing to Primo Carnera in the sixth round at the Oaks Ballpark, Emeryville, California on 14 April 1930. The fight came to an end when Bob Perry, one of Chevalier’s seconds, threw the towel in after the latter had got up apparently unhurt, having slipped over. Reports stated that Chevalier was winning the fight at that stage. At a hearing afterwards Chevalier said that he had earlier been offered a considerable sum of money by an unknown party to throw the fight, but referred them to his manager. Chevalier went on to say that Perry had continually rubbed an irritant into his eyes between rounds when it was clear that he was not prepared to go down. While Chevalier was exonerated the handlers were not, being banned from working in the State again with the same conditions applying to Carnera’s people.