1891-03-11 (142/144lbs) Harry Nickless w rtd 6 (20) Johnny Robinson, Ormonde Club, Walworth, London, England

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 03:12, 26 May 2013 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1891-03-11 (142/144lbs) Harry Nickless w rtd 6 (20) Johnny Robinson, Ormonde Club, Walworth, London, England. Referee: J. T. McNeil. Although billed for the English 144lbs title, with both men inside 142lbs Nickless (141) also had a valid claim to the 142lbs championship on his victory, which came when Robinson (141) was forced to retire after spraining his ankle. The contest had started with a rush as both men looked to get in early blows, and at the end of the fourth round it had become noticeable that Nickless was the more sprightly of the pair. In the fifth honours were even, solid blows from both hands finding their mark, but in the sixth it was Nickless who scored the first knockdown, a left-right to the jaw that sent Robinson down heavily. On getting up in a dazed state, after being battered along the ropes and going down again Robinson was retired, having hobbled back to his corner.

Prior to this one, two men - Ben Seth (who outpointed Dick Leary over four rounds at the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington, London on 14 April 1888) and Ted Pritchard (who outpointed Dave Burke over four rounds at the Aquarium Theatre, Westminster, London on 8 December 1888 - had won 142lbs championship competitions. Bethnal Green’s Burke, a veteran of the ring, should not be confused with his Lambeth namesake). Also, Ching Ghook (August 1888), Jim Kendrick (September 1888), Lachie Thomson (June 1889) and George Baxter (May 1890) either claimed the English 142lbs title or were challenging all England to decide it. Another 142lbs English championship competition was decided when Joe Wilson knocked out Jack Ashman inside four rounds at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Haymarket, London on 30 May 1891.