1891-03-11 (142/144lbs) Harry Nickless w rtd 6 (20) Johnny Robinson, Ormonde Club, Walworth, London, England

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 12:46, 20 December 2011 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1891-03-11 (142/144lbs) Harry Nickless w rtd 6 (20) Johnny Robinson, Ormonde Club, Walworth, London, England. Referee: J. T. McNeil. Although billed for the English 144lbs title, with both men inside 142lbs Nickless (141) also had a valid claim to the 142lbs championship on his victory, which came when Robinson (141) was forced to retire after spraining his ankle. The contest had started with a rush, as both men looked to get in early blows, and at the end of the fourth round it had been noticeable that Nickless had been the more sprightly of the pair. In the fifth honours were even, solid blows from both hands finding their mark, but in the sixth it was Nickless who scored the first knockdown, a left-right to the jaw that sent Robinson down heavily. On getting up in a dazed state Robinson had great difficulty in his movement and after being battered along the ropes and going down again he was retired, having hobbled back to his corner. Prior to this one, two men - Ben Seth (who outpointed Dick Leary over four rounds on 14 April 1888 at the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington, London) and Ted Pritchard (who outpointed Dave Burke over four rounds on 8 December 1888 at the Aquarium Theatre, Westminster, London. Bethnal Green’s Burke, a veteran of the ring, should not be confused with his Lambeth namesake) - had won 142lbs championship competitions, while Ching Ghook (August 1888), Jim Kendrick (September 1888), Lachie Thomson (June 1889) and George Baxter (May 1890) either claimed the English 142lbs title or were challenging all England to decide it. Another 142lbs English championship competition was decided when Joe Wilson knocked out Jack Ashman at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Haymarket, London on 30 May 1891.