1913-07-03 (160lbs) Jack Dillon nd-w rsc 10 (10) Bill McKinnon, Washington Park, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 07:13, 19 June 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1913-07-03 (160lbs) Jack Dillon nd-w rsc 10 (10) Bill McKinnon, Washington Park, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. Referee: Tom Dillon. Dillon’s 160lbs title claim was at stake here as both men came in under the prescribed weight. Regardless of the fact that McKinnon was fleet of foot and travelled around the ring at speed, Dillon eventually caught up with him. Having been cut over the left eye in the second round, McKinnon was always at risk and in the sixth he went to his knees three times as Dillon hammered in punches to the body. Down again twice in the seventh and twice more in the ninth, when the final session arrived it was almost too much for McKinnon to get off his stool and after being dropped five more times he was rescued by the referee.

On 8 August at the Auditorium, Winnipeg, Canada, Dillon, weighing above 160lbs, allowed the Canadian, George Ashe, to weigh inside 158lbs, thus risking his title claim. The fight went the distance, Dillon being given the 12-round decision by the attending press.

While it is not clear whether Dillon’s 12-round no-decision contest against Tony Caponi (w co 8 at the Auditorium, Winnipeg, Canada on 17 September) was contracted for 160lbs, his short-distance bout against Leo Houck (nd-l pts 6 at Rocky Springs Park, Lancaster, Pennsylvania on 9 October) almost certainly was.

At The Casino, Akron, Ohio, on 14 October, Dillon forced Walter Monaghan to retire in the fourth of a 12-round no-decision affair refereed by Walter Kelley. The only reference to the fighters’ weights came when the Akron Beacon newspaper reported that it was a catchweight contest in which Dillon would weigh around 160lbs and his opponent a little under, with there being little difference in the poundage of the two at ringside. There was no title billing given and it was this kind of reporting that has made it so difficult to fathom whether title claims were at risk or not.

Three weeks later, on 3 November, Dillon was deemed by the press to have outscored Gus Christie in a ten round no-decision contest at the South Delaware Street Auditorium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Although the press stated that the fight had been made at 160lbs, according to the Indianapolis Star Dillon outweighed his rival by 12 pounds, but had Christie, well inside 158lbs, won he would have undoubtedly claimed the title.