1914-06-15 Jack Dillon w pts 12 Bob Moha, Convention Hall, Butte, Montana, USA - USA

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Jump to: navigation, search

1914-06-15 Jack Dillon w pts 12 Bob Moha, Convention Hall, Butte, Montana, USA - USA. Referee: John McIntosh. According to the Anaconda Standard this was a light heavyweight title battle at 175lbs, both men to scale inside 165lbs, with Moha (163½) and Dillon (163) looking strong at the weight. In what was a terrible contest, Moha covered up and stalled continuously as the aggressive Dillon made all of the running. The fight was so suspicious that Moha, who lost any claim he may have had to the title, was forced to settle for only part of his promised purse.

During the rest of the year, often weighing in way above the middleweight limit, Dillon also risked losing his light heavyweight claim when defending his right to be recognised as the 160lbs middleweight champion. This applied in contests against Sailor Ed Petroskey (w pts 10 at Ascot Park, Kansas City, Missouri on 3 July), George KO Brown (nd-w pts 10 at the Baseball Park, Terre Haute, Indiana on 21 July), Howard Morrow (nd-w pts 6 at the Fuller Theatre, Kalamazoo, Michigan on 12 August) and Sailor Einert (nd-w pts 10 at the Baseball Park, Terre Haute on 7 September).

He again took on Brown (nd-drew 10 at the Knox County Fairgrounds, Vincennes, Indiana on 15 September) before coming to the ring at 183½lbs for a match against the 172lbs Frank Mantell (nd-w pts 12 at Goodale Aerodrome, Columbus, Ohio on 28 September). Then, for the third time in two months Dillon met up with Brown (nd-nc 3 at The Coliseum, St Louis, Missouri on 14 October). A few weeks later, Dillon (174¼) stopped Charley Weinert (173¾) inside two rounds of a six-round no-decision contest at the Olympia AC, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 9 November, further to meeting Young Ahearn (156½) at the same venue on 1 January 1915 in a no-decision six-round draw, weighing 164lbs.

Another occasion where there was possibly a risk of sorts came on 25 January 1915 at the Phoenix AC, Memphis, Tennessee when Dillon stopped Larry English in the fourth of an eight-round no-decision contest. Reporting on the fight, the Memphis Daily Appeal stated that although both men weighed about 170lbs they were almost certainly inside 175lbs.