1914-06-30 (147lbs) Johnny Summers drew 20 Harry Stone, Olympia, Kensington, London, England

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 05:40, 8 February 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1914-06-30 (147lbs) Johnny Summers drew 20 Harry Stone, Olympia, Kensington, London, England. Referee: Eugene Corri. With many of the top Britishers fighting abroad, Summers was matched against Stone to contest the world 147lbs title. Although there were no knockdowns it was an exciting fight between top men and while Summers worked well downstairs Stone showed a sound knowledge of the game when countering and defending well. There was never much in it and the announcement of a draw was widely accepted.

Given world title billing mainly because it was an international contest between a man still seen by many as being the British champion and a leading American the fight solved nothing. Summers had been beaten in his two previous contests and next time out he lost his version of the British welterweight title to Johnny Basham, being knocked out inside 14 rounds at the NSC, Covent Garden, London, on 14 December.

Going straight back to America after meeting Summers, having been campaigning in Australia since April 1913, Stone was claiming to be the world welterweight champion (or 140lbs lightweight champion depending on what paper you read) after he said he had been presented with a diamond studded silver belt by Snowy Baker on beating Matt Wells (w pts 20 at the Sydney Stadium on 29 November 1913). Wells had weighed 136lbs to Stone’s 132. A report in the Sydney Referee in December 1914 refuted Stone’s claim to hold Australia’s version of the world title at any weight, stating that he was well beaten on points over 20 rounds at The Stadium, Sydney by Herb McCoy (135½) at the Australian lightweight limit of 140lbs in his penultimate contest in the Antipodes and was unable to make a match with Hughie Mehegan, who was recognised as the best man in Australia at the time. The report went on to say that he was a champion liar and was fooling the boxing public.

Regardless of all of that, Stone, who could comfortably make 135lbs if he wished, was challenging all men between 135lbs to 150lbs, preferably Mike Gibbons, and back in America wherever he went he billed himself as a leading claimant for the 142/145lbs title. Although Stone could make the lightweight limit of 135lbs with ease, because Freddie Welsh was recognised universally as the champion of that division and with the welterweight class in disarray he would concentrate on the latter weight class.