1924-03-31 Mike McTigue nd-l pts 12 Young Stribling, 113th Regiment Armory, Newark, New Jersey, USA - NY/NBA/GB

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 07:57, 13 September 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1924-03-31 Mike McTigue nd-l pts 12 Young Stribling, 113th Regiment Armory, Newark, New Jersey, USA - NY/NBA/GB. Referee: Hank Lewis. Following on from their previous fiasco, Stribling (165) was looking to set the record straight this time round and although he decked McTigue (166½) with a terrific right cross to the jaw in the tenth round he was unable to keep the champion down, having to be satisfied with the press verdict alone.

McTigue had been clearly outpointed in every round according to Nat Fleischer, writing in The Ring magazine, who went on to say: “It was a travesty that the champion was able to keep his title as Stribling had been superior in every aspect”. The general feeling was that champions should only be defending their titles in States where decisions could be given.

In early October, McTigue was suspended by the NYSAC for repeatedly ignoring its requests to defend against a legitimate challenger, namely Gene Tunney, having demanded fabulous sums and evaded one issue after another. The Commission stipulated that McTigue, who was thinking of taking on the inexperienced Paul Berlenbach, would have to defend against Tunney first before he could fight in New York again.

Meantime, Tunney met the former world champion, Georges Carpentier, in what some papers called a defence of the former’s American title. With Carpentier a Frenchman it was hardly that, but it was certainly seen as an eliminator for McTigue’s title, Tunney stopping his rival in the 15th round at the Polo Grounds, Manhattan, NYC, New York on 24 July. Prior to stepping up to heavyweight, Tunney took on the middleweight champion, Harry Greb (nd-drew 10 at the Olympic Arena, Cleveland, Ohio on 17 September), and Harry Foley (nd-w rsc 1 at The Auditorium, Memphis, Tennessee on 24 October). Both matches were contested inside 175lbs and appear to be the last at the weight for Tunney.