1925-01-02 Louis Kid Kaplan w rtd 9 (15) Danny Kramer, Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York, USA - NY

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 04:37, 11 January 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1925-01-02 Louis Kid Kaplan w rtd 9 (15) Danny Kramer, Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York, USA - NY. Referee: Tommy Sheridan. Despite putting up what was probably the greatest display of his career, the southpaw Kramer (124), his right eye almost shut, was pulled out of the fight by his corner at 1.11 of the ninth round when he was reeling around the ring after giving his all. It had been one heck of a contest, with Kaplan (126), who carried the fight to Kramer from the opening bell, slowing his rival down with body blows and sending in well-aimed punches to the head from distance to win the NYSAC version of the vacant title.

On the same bill, Babe Herman (124½) forced Billy Defoe (126) to retire in the eighth of a 12 rounder and in doing so was told by the NYSAC that he would now be considered as the next title challenger. It was then agreed by the NYSAC that if Herman could get by Bobby Garcia he would be Kaplan’s next challenger and the fight was made for Madison Square Garden on 20 February at the featherweight limit. Following a 12-round draw, a rematch which went ahead at the Armory, Waterbury, Connecticut on 13 March saw Garcia (124) outpoint Herman (125) over 12 rounds. Prior to that contest, it was stated that the winner would meet Kaplan for the title in Waterbury and would be recognised by the NBA. Unfortunately for Garcia he lost two of his next three fights and Herman was back in poll position.

Later, with Johnny Dundee looking to regain his old title, he lost on points to Red Chapman over ten rounds at the Mechanics’ Building, Boston, Massachusetts on 23 March in a match made at 127lbs. However, Dundee came to the ring weighing 131lbs, while Chapman, who wanted to scale inside 126lbs to further his featherweight claim, initially weighed in at 125½lbs before being made to go back to the scales in order to officially come in over 126lbs. Following that, and a ten-round points win over the 125lbs Edouard Mascart at The Arena, Boston on 30 April, Chapman claimed the title, but failed to gain the wholehearted support of the Massachusetts’ Boxing Commission.

With pressure now mounting on Kaplan to make his first defence, the IBU announced on 7 June that they were recognising him as champion. This statement was supported by the NBA soon after. A week or so later, it was reported that Kaplan had signed for a defence against Mascart in NYC, but when this was challenged by Herman the NYSAC stated that Kaplan’s first defence would have to be against the latter and that they would not be allowing him to fight again in the State until that fight had taken place. In the light of that it was thus strange that Herman agreed to meet Mascart on 30 June in NYC, saying that he was happy to do so on the grounds that if the Frenchman was a better man than him he should be the one fighting Kaplan. Ultimately that fight never took place after Mascart pulled out at the last minute, claiming a hand injury, and Jose Lombardo was substituted. While Herman stopped Lombardo, Mascart sailed for France on the same day after being bailed in lieu of not informing the promoters of his decision.

On 2 July, Kaplan was told by the NYSAC that he could defend his title against Herman anywhere in the world and, two weeks later, after being told by the Commission to reach agreement with the latter the match was made for Waterbury on 27 August.