1928-06-21 Mickey Walker w pts 10 Ace Hudkins, Comiskey Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA - WORLD

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 00:28, 19 June 2013 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1928-06-21 Mickey Walker w pts 10 Ace Hudkins, Comiskey Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA - WORLD. Referee: Ed Purdy. To most discerning fans it appeared that the challenger had taken the title after ten rounds of fierce fighting, during which Walker (158) had been forced to soak up incessant body attacks. Apart from the fourth when Walker had Hudkins (155) wobbling from a bombardment of heavy blows to the head, it was the ‘Nebraska Wildcat’ who took the eye. According to the referee, Hudkins won by five rounds to three, with two even. However, the other two judges saw it for Walker. Both men were cut up, which was hardly surprising, and the wild, swinging Hudkins impressed when walking right through Walker, who was unable to keep his fearless rival at bay despite landing some of his best shots.

On 28 December, at Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York, Hudkins outpointed Rene De Vos over ten rounds in a bout that both the NYSAC and NBA saw as finding Walker’s next championship opponent. However, it appeared that Walker had other plans. In his previous two contests, De Vos had beaten Phil Kaplan and Dave Shade in contests considered by the NYSAC as being eliminators.

Wishing to challenge Tommy Loughran for the world light heavyweight title on 28 March 1929, and having gone beyond the six-month title defence period, on 24 February 1929 the NBA demanded that Walker post $25,000 in good faith that he would defend his title against Hudkins again by 4 July 1929. It was later reported that the figure both demanded and received by the Illinois Boxing Commission before Walker was allowed to meet Loughran had been reduced to $10,000.

Following his unsuccessful challenge for light heavyweight honours, Walker remained inactive until meeting Leo Lomski (w pts 10 at the Sesquin-Centennial Stadium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 19 August 1929) in a match more to do with the 175lbs weight class. Then, on 17 September, the NBA announced that as they had lost patience with Walker for not keeping his appointment with Hudkins they were stripping him of the title, listing the latter, De Vos and Harry Ebbets as the leading contenders. Although the NBA’s decision remained firm, it was reported a week later that Walker had finally signed to meet Hudkins on 29 October.