1935-06-01 Baltasar Sangchilli w pts 15 Panama Al Brown, The Bullring, Valencia, Spain - IBU

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 05:21, 20 March 2013 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1935-06-01 Baltasar Sangchilli w pts 15 Panama Al Brown, The Bullring, Valencia, Spain - IBU. Referee: Rene Schemann. Postponed from the previous week when torrential rain made it impossible for the fighters to start, Brown (117¾) suffered the most from the postponement due to weight-making problems, being only a shadow of his self on the night. Understandably weak, at no stage did the champion look likely to win, spending much of the time spoiling, while Sangchilli (118) fought with great gusto to become Spain’s first ever world champion on receiving the judges’ decision.

After beating Brown but not being accepted by the NBA as champion, Sangchilli was supported by The Ring magazine who saw him as the lineal champion.

Eventually, Sangchilli set sail for America in March 1936 with a view to meeting Sixto Escobar to decide the championship. Proving himself to be a determined, hard-working, aggressive battler, Sangchilli won two warm-up fights before being matched against Tony Marino, who had recently shocked Lou Salica (w pts 10 at the Queensboro Stadium, Queens, NYC, New York on 2 June 1936). Although it was a contest that could not be given title billing as the NYSAC already supported Escobar as their titleholder, it went ahead under championship conditions at the Dyckman Oval, Manhattan, NYC on 29 June 1936 with Marino, having been floored four times, eventually knocking Sangchilli out in the 14th round.

Despite the result, the IBU at their annual congress on 8 August 1936 maintained that Sangchilli should still be recognised as their champion, while Marino went on to challenge Escobar for the American version of the title. What was surprising about the IBU’s stance on Sangchilli was that they then waited for more than 18 months before asking the Spaniard, who had been sidelined for three months, to make a defence against the former champion, Brown.