1937-06-03 John Henry Lewis w rsc 8 (15) Bob Olin, The Arena, St Louis, Missouri, USA - NY/NBA/GB

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 00:13, 9 July 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1937-06-03 John Henry Lewis w rsc 8 (15) Bob Olin, The Arena, St Louis, Missouri, USA - NY/NBA/GB. Referee: Walter Heisner. Having kept Olin (174¾) at arm's length during the opening two sessions, Lewis (174) decided it was time to go to work and he opened up in the third with a vicious body attack. After putting Olin down in the fourth with a cracking right under the heart that fractured a rib, Lewis continued to attack the body from there onwards and at 1.20 of the eighth, with the challenger down for the second time in the round, the referee stopped the fight.

On 15 July, the fourth-rated Tiger Jack Fox met Leo Kelly, who was one place above him, in what was reported to be an elimination contest to find Lewis’ next challenger. Kelly, who had spent almost two years campaigning in Australia, had temporarily been The Ring magazine’s top-rated fighter in May 1936 after beating Ambrose Palmer, and had an interesting sideline as a Deacon in a Los Angeles Baptist church. Contested over 15 rounds, Fox beat Kelly (w rsc 6 at Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York) but found himself no nearer to a title crack as it was clear at this time that Lewis was eying up the heavyweight division.

Although it was reported in December that Lewis would be making a defence against Fred Lenhart in January 1938 it did not happen and after being pressed by both the NYSAC and NBA to make a defence, on 29 January it was announced that Lewis would relinquish the title if he could get a crack at Joe Louis for the heavyweight title. At the same time, the NYSAC stated that they would look favourably at the winner of a contest at 175lbs between Fox and Lou Brouillard at The Garden, Boston, Massachusetts, on 18 February being given an opportunity to meet Lewis for the title. Fox won by a count-out in the seventh round.

On 24 February it was reported that contracts were in place for Lewis to defend against Al Gainer, but when that match was agreed for June (eventually moved on to October) Lewis continued fighting over-the-weight contests before signing up on 8 April for a title match against Emilio Martinez.