1940-11-22 Lew Jenkins w rsc 2 (15) Pete Lello, Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York, USA - NY

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 08:49, 14 December 2011 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1940-11-22 Lew Jenkins w rsc 2 (15) Pete Lello, Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York, USA - NY. Referee: Arthur Donovan. Following a slow start by the champion’s standards, possibly because Lello had knocked him out inside seven rounds some 18 months earlier, the fight never took off until the second round and what a round it was. Put down four times from all manner of punches, Lello (131¾), on unsteady legs and seriously at risk, was rescued by the referee with 23 seconds of the session remaining as Jenkins (134½) was menacingly looking to take him out. After a ten-round draw with Fritzie Zivic, the welterweight champion, and a seventh-round stoppage win over Lou Ambers in non-title contests, Jenkins took another overweight match, this time with Bob Montgomery, and was soundly outpointed over ten rounds at Madison Square Garden on 16 May 1941. Within days of the Montgomery trouncing, Jenkins was ordered by the NYSAC to make a match with the NBA champion, Sammy Angott, so that the title could be unified. Despite it being announced that Jenkins and Angott would meet for the lightweight title in NYC on 5 September, Jenkins was later matched against the new world welterweight champion, Freddie Cochrane, in a ten-round non-title affair scheduled for 6 October at Madison Square Garden, which saw the Angott fight moved on to 31 October. Floored five times by Cochrane, prior to losing the decision, Jenkins called in the doctors a few days later and was found to be suffering a fractured left rib and damage to the right shoulder. What made the matter worse was the fact that he had carried the rib injury in to the ring against Cochrane after crashing on his motorcycle some three weeks earlier. Although the NYSAC were running out of patience with Jenkins they were forced to accept the inevitable and the fight was rescheduled for 19 December.