1941-01-13 Lou Salica w pts 15 Tommy Forte, The Arena, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WORLD

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 06:52, 20 March 2013 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1941-01-13 Lou Salica w pts 15 Tommy Forte, The Arena, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WORLD. Referee: Irving Kutcher. Scorecards: 7-6, 7-7, 7-7. In an exceedingly close contest, Salica (117½), fighting the last six rounds with his left eye closed shut, just about scraped home on a majority decision after a rough ride. Salica’s eye had been initially cut in the fourth, but showing the stuff that champions are made of he came through strongly over the last few rounds to take the play away from Forte (117½) with a furious attack that ultimately paid dividends.

Immediately following this defence, an elimination series involving David Kui Kong Young, Little Dado, Tony Olivera and Little Pancho took place in Honolulu, Hawaii, sanctioned by the NBA and held under the auspices of the Territorial Boxing Commission to find Salica’s next challenger. Kicking off on 24 January at the Civic Auditorium, Dado outpointed Olivera over ten rounds, while in the other leg, at the same venue on 7 February, Young achieved a similar result over Pancho. The final saw Young outpoint Dado over the same distance on 4 April at The Stadium.

Meanwhile, in Canada, there was plenty of support for Kenny Lindsay, who had had been trying unsuccessfully to get a match with Salica, and he was booked to meet Olivera at The Forum, Vancouver on 15 April in a fight billed by the promoters as being for the title on the assumption that the latter’s claim still held good. A nice boxer with a lightning fast left jab and power in his right hand to match, Lindsay won on points over ten rounds, with both men inside 118lbs, but was denied any recognition when it was discovered that Olivera had no real claim to the title at that moment in time. However, with Dado top-rated in The Ring magazine as a flyweight, Lindsay was elevated to the number-one challenger spot among the bantams, a position he lost when, weighing 121lbs, he was outscored by Olivera (116) in a ten-round non-title return match at the Municipal Auditorium, Oakland, California on 19 June 1941, just two fights later.