1943-06-19 Jackie Paterson w co 1 (15) Peter Kane, Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland - GB/NY

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 11:33, 9 July 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

1943-06-19 Jackie Paterson w co 1 (15) Peter Kane, Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland - GB/NY. Referee: Moss Deyong. With Kane still able to make eight stone, and following several good wins at the weight, he took on the heavy-handed Paterson in a fight seen by Britain and the NYSAC as being for the vacant championship. Looking every inch the future of the division, Paterson (111¾) jumped on Kane (112) right from the start and put the unfortunate former champion down within seconds before finishing him off with another right to the jaw, the count being completed with just 61 seconds on the clock.

The first southpaw to win the world flyweight title, Paterson was eventually recognised by the NBA when they stripped Little Dado in October and then by the IBU, soon to be re-formed as the European Boxing Union (EBU), when boxing resumed after the war in Europe had been concluded in 1945.

Three British fighters who were given number one status by The Ring magazine during the war without making anything of it were Sammy Reynolds, Norman Lewis and the unfortunate Alex Murphy, who passed away following a fight against Emile Famechon.

Although Paterson had remained active following his victory over Kane, fighting mainly at a heavier weight, he was not called upon to defend the championship until 1946. Having won the British Empire (12 September 1945) and the European (19 March 1946) bantamweight titles, Paterson was booked to meet Rinty Monaghan in a warm-up at the King’s Hall, Belfast on 7 June before defending his flyweight title against Joe Curran on 26 June. With Monaghan ranked number three in the world at the time it was a dangerous fight to take and so it proved. Although he had dropped the feisty Irishman a couple of times Paterson had also been put down and was behind on points before being forced to call it a day at the end of the sixth, suffering cuts over both eyes.

Following this the Curran fight was rescheduled for 10 July, but it was also very clear that from now on Paterson would struggle to make eight stone.