1957-09-20 Archie Moore w rsc 7 (15) Tony Anthony, Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, USA - WORLD

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 06:40, 27 January 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1957-09-20 Archie Moore w rsc 7 (15) Tony Anthony, Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, USA - WORLD. Referee: Mushy Callahan. Again having difficulty making the weight, the champion started slowly with the cross-armed defence that he had become associated with, and the opening three rounds saw Anthony (172) jabbing out the left but doing little else. By the fifth Moore (175) had begun to go to work, mixing up the jab with bobbing and weaving on the inside, and in the sixth Anthony shipped plenty of punishment before being on the floor when the bell rang. Although tearing out of his corner showing plenty of fight at the start of the seventh, Anthony was soon on the defensive and he was eventually counted out at 2.29 of the session after being dropped by a terrific right to the head. With Moore asking for a £33,000 guarantee from any man wishing to challenge for his title and the fact that he had already beaten his two leading contenders, Harold Johnson and Anthony, who had stopped the third-rated Yvon Durelle inside seven rounds at Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York on 14 March 1958, it was anyone’s guess as to who would be selected as his next opponent. What also did not help was the weakness of the commissions, especially the NBA, who were trying to force Moore into accepting Johnson as his next defence, but were powerless to do so legally unless it suited the champion’s time frame. Following an eight-round retirement win over South Africa’s Mike Holt at the Forum, Montreal, Canada on 16 July, it appeared that Durelle, who successfully defended his British Empire title by his victory, was the favourite to get the next crack at the title and confirmation that the fight had been made came at the end of September.