1964-12-14 Joey Giardello w pts 15 Rubin Carter, Convention Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WORLD

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Revision as of 05:58, 13 February 2012 by Hugman (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

1964-12-14 Joey Giardello w pts 15 Rubin Carter, Convention Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WORLD. Referee: Bob Polis. Scorecards: 72-66, 71-66, 70-67. Making his first defence, Giardello (160) boxed on the back foot throughout against the hard-hitting Carter (158½) and from the sixth through to the 12th he was at risk as the latter went looking for the kayo. Giardello was cut on the left eye in the fourth, but continued to pick Carter off as he pressed forward. In the 13th Giardello hurt Carter with left hooks, but then came back strongly in the 14th before the champion produced a grandstand finish in the final session. The decision was seen by many as unfair, with The Ring magazine having Carter as the winner by 68-64. Having promised Dick Tiger a return in the aftermath of their 7 December 1963 contest, in mid April 1965 Giardello rejected offers to defended his title against the welterweight champion, Emile Griffith, and stated that he would be happy to take on Tiger in late June. However, Tiger was already contracted to meet Carter (on 20 May at Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NYC, New York), a fight he eventually won on points over ten rounds, and Giardello was still receiving treatment on the arm injured in the non-title win over Gil Diaz on 23 April. With the WBC looking on, at the end of June it was announced that Giardello would be defending against Joey Archer or George Benton on 20 September as he felt Tiger’s 30% demand of the gate money too high. However, at the end of July, the Madison Square Garden promoters announced that Giardello was close to signing for a defence against Tiger in October, which was confirmed shortly afterwards. Meantime, the WBA set up a final eliminator between Griffith and Don Fullmer, won by the latter on points over 12 rounds at the Fairgrounds Coliseum, Salt Lake City, Utah on 20 August 1965, which was also billed for the American title. But the winner failed to get the support his victory warranted, especially after losing to Nino Benvenuti and Jose Gonzalez.