Difference between revisions of "1985-04-15 Marvin Hagler w rsc 3 (12) Thomas Hearns, Caesar’s Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - WORLD"

From Barry Hugman's History of Championship Boxing
Jump to: navigation, search
(No difference)

Revision as of 04:44, 2 June 2012

1985-04-15 Marvin Hagler w rsc 3 (12) Thomas Hearns, Caesar’s Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - WORLD. Referee: Richard Steele. In a fight that would see Hagler (159¼) assuming the mantle of greatness, he defended his title against Hearns (159¾), the WBC junior middleweight champion. With both men tearing into each other with an intensity rarely seen and both landing heavy blows it was clear to all and sundry that this one was not going to go the distance. Towards the end of the opening session with Hearns in trouble on the ropes but fighting back Hagler was badly cut between the eyes and although the champion tried to finish it he was unable to do so. In the second, Hagler was cut under the right eye and in his anxiousness to put Hearns away and the latter refusing to go down there were fears that he may have punched himself out. With Hagler, bleeding heavily, forced to fight in desperation he tore into Hearns and following a southpaw right hook that had the latter losing control of his legs three more heavy blows had him over. Even though Hearns amazing got up at ‘six’ there was no way the referee was going to let him continue and the fight was over with 1.08 of the session remaining.

Due to defend the world title against John Mugabi in Nevada on 14 November, the fight was called off two weeks before due to Hagler suffering a broken nose in sparring. There were also fears that the champion had suffered a ruptured disc in his lower back, which had already caused him to miss two weeks of training. After the doctors had advised him that his back condition should heal within three weeks and that he should not spar for at least six weeks, the promoter announced that the fight would take place in February or March 1986.