AJ Banal vs. Luis Alberto Perez
2010-10-30 : AJ Banal 116 lbs beat Luis Alberto Perez 117¾ lbs by DQ at 1:46 in round 7 of 10
- Location: Cebu City Waterfront Hotel & Casino, Barangay Lahug, Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
- Referee: Silvestre Abainza
- Judge: Salven Lagumbay 59-55
- Judge: Noel Flores 59-55
- Judge: Edward Ligas 60-54
- AJ Banal 22-1-1 (18 KOs) vs. Luis Alberto Perez 26-4 (17 KOs)
- This fight is at a specified catchweight of 120 lbs.
- Banal entered ranked WBO #2, WBA #4, IBF #4, and WBC #13 bantamweight contender. He has won five straight fights, four by knockout, since suffering his first ever defeat against Panaminian Rafael Concepcion more than two years ago, the latest being a fifth-round knockout of South Korea-based Japanese Big Yoo three and a half months ago; The former two-division world champion Perez, only 2-3 (2 KOs) in his last five fights, is coming off a second-round technical knockout of unheralded fellow Nicaraguan Freddy Madrigal five months ago.
- Banal has never fought a Nicaraguan coming into the bout while this will be the second time Perez will fight a Filipino fighter, he lost to Vernie Torres by twelve-round unanimous decision more than a decade ago in his U.S debut, also suffering his first ever defeat as a professional. This will also be Perez' first fight in the Philippines, he is 5-3 (2 KOs) outside of Nicaragua.
- Banal is 1-0 (0 KOs) against former or current world champions, beating Juan Alberto Rosas by unanimous eight-round decision three and a half years ago.
AJ BANAL WINS BY DISQUALIFICATION
- In Round 7: Referee Silvestre Abainza approached AJ Banal from behind, put his hand on Banal's shoulder, and yelled "Break", as this occurred the referee was near both boxers and was in clear view of both pugilists and also in a good position to temporarily stop the action. But after this occurred, Perez fired a right hook that sent Banal down, although it was clear that the referee was trying to separate him from AJ Banal.
- AJ Banal was unable to continue in the fight after the knockdown due a deep cut on his left eyelid that he suffered as a result of the illegal punch thrown by Luis Perez. The resulting action forced Referee Silvestre Abainza to declare Banal the winner by disqualification.
- Note: In the second round, Perez tried to elbow Banal when he had his back turned when the referee tried to separate them. Perez was warned earlier about hitting after the break.
- This bout was quickly considered controversial due to the disqualification by Luis Perez's cornerman after the conclusion of the bout. However, by rule: When a referee breaks boxers from a clinch, you have to take a full step back; you cannot immediately hit your opponent--that's called "hitting on the break" and is illegal. When an injury is caused by an intentional foul, and the injured boxer is unable to continue, the offending boxer will lose by disqualification.