AJ Banal vs. Tyson Cave
2011-07-30 : AJ Banal 117¾ lbs beat Tyson Cave 117¾ lbs by TD at 2:32 in round 8 of 12
- Location: Hoops Dome, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- Referee: Tony Pesons
- Judge: Edgar Olalo 79-73
- Judge: Danrex Tapdasan, Esq. 78-74
- Judge: Edward Ligas 78-74
- WBO Asia Pacific Bantamweight Title (2nd defense by Banal)
- AJ Banal 24-1-1 (19 KOs) vs. Tyson Cave 15-1 (5 KOs)
- Banal enters ranked as the WBA # 3, IBF # 3, WBO # 5, and WBC # 12 bantamweight contender. He is coming off a second-round technical knockout victory of Tanzanian Francis Miyeyusho more than 4 months ago for his seventh-straight victory coming into the fight. Cave enters ranked as the WBC # 29 super bantamweight contender. He is coming off a unanimous ten-round decision victory of Mexican Saturnino Nava just more than a month ago in Canada and has a modest five-fight win streak coming into the fight.
- This would be the first time Banal would face a Canadian fighter.
- This would be the first time Cave would face a Filipino fighter, as well as the first time he would fight outside his native Canada.
- In the fifth, a clash of heads opened a cut on the corner of Banal's right eyebrow. Blood poured out of the wound but Banal continued to press. Wrestling sequences ensued and Banal was thrown to the canvas on several occasions. In the 8th, the bleeding got worse and ring physician Dr. Jose Unabia recommended the fight to be stopped. The scorecards read 79-73, 78-74 and 78-74, all for Banal.
- With the win, Banal gets his eighth straight victory since his first and only loss 3 years ago to Panamanian Rafael Concepcion. He also successfully defends his WBO Asia Pacific Bantamweight Title for the second time. The loss ends Cave's five-fight winning streak.