Adrian Diaconu vs. David Whittom
2009-04-04 : Adrian Diaconu 186 lbs beat David Whittom 186½ lbs by UD in round 8 of 8
- Location: Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Referee: Marlon Wright
- Judge: Robert Gay 79-73
- Judge: Pasquale Procopio 80-72
- Judge: Benoit Roussel 80-72
- Attendance: 7,513
- Diaconu's WBC Light Heavyweight title not at stake in this fight.
- Gankor Promotions initially won the rights to promote Diaconu's first defense of his WBC title against mandatory challenger Silvio Branco. To fight was scheduled to take place on November 15, 2008 in Romania. However, Diaconu suffered a hand injury in training and the fight had to be postponed.
- The WBC ordered a second purse bid, which Branco's promoter, OPI 2000, won. After multiple delays, the bout was scheduled for April 10, 2009. It was then pushed back to April 18, 2009, and finally pushed back again to May 2009 as a result of various problems. In order to keep him active, Diaconu's promoter Interbox decided to add him to this card against Quebec Light Heavyweight champion Whittom in a stay busy fight.
- Contract weight was set at 187 pounds.
- Diaconu came in ranked as the # 8 light heavyweight in the world by The Ring Magazine.