Adrien Broner vs. Gavin Rees
2013-02-16 : Adrien Broner 134 lbs beat Gavin Rees 134½ lbs by TKO at 2:59 in round 5 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Earl Brown
- Judge: Eugene Grant
- Judge: John Keane
- Judge: Julie Lederman
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title (1st defense by Broner)
- Attendance 4,812
- HBO Unofficial weigh-in' Broner: 150 lbs, Rees 150 lbs
Adrien Broner defended his WBC lightweight title and cruised against a spirited but outgunned Gavin Rees in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
A single right uppercut put Rees on his back 55 seconds into Round 4. Rees was up at the count of five. Broner continued to pound away for the remainder of the round and, prior to the start of the fifth, Rees's trainer Gary Lockett suggested that they should stop the fight.
A left hand to the body in the final minute of Round 5 drew a grimace from Rees and sent him to a knee. Broner closed the round peppering Rees against the ropes, causing Lockett to come up on the ring apron and wave the towel.
Rees gave a good effort and looked to take the fight to Broner early, but could not match Broner's power and accuracy.
- Adrien Broner 25-0 (21 KOs) vs. Gavin Rees 37-1-1 (18 KOs)
- Broner entered as the #1 lightweight contender and the #6 pound-for-pound fighter in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Rees, a 14-to-1 betting underdog, was ranked 6th by the same publication.  
- "I knew he was going to come to fight. He's a world-class fighter. He kept coming through every shot like it was his best shot. I knew he would hang. He's a world-class fighter. When you have two world-class fighters going toe-to-toe, it's going to be a fight. He's tougher than a steak that's well done." - Adrien Broner
- "I got reckless in the third and fourth rounds, and that was pretty much the end of it. I disagree with Gary (Lockett) pulling me out, but he knows I would have boxed on until I was knocked out cold. I was always going to get up. Quitting is not a part of my way of life. I'm disappointed with my performance. I made a lot of mistakes. I think I have a better skill set than that. I didn't show it." - Gavin Rees
- "If I fought Ricky Burns, he would get burned up. I want to fight him, but if he doesn't want to fight me, oh well. I don't care what they put in front of me. I'm still the can man. I will fight them." - Adrien Broner