Al Morse

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
Al Morse (r) with Mickey McAvoy

Pacific Northwest Boxing Promoter and Manager of Tiger Jack Fox

Morse began promoting out of Spokane in November 1934, replacing the previous promoter Chuck Snyder. Morse's promotional company would be known as the Al Morse Boxing Club; his first matchmaker was longtime Seattle fight game veteran Lonnie Austin. Austin's and Morse's stated goal after starting in Spokane was to develop a main event attraction in Spokane, similar to what Freddie Steele was in Seattle and Henry Woods was in Yakima, WA.

Morse was synonymous with the rise of Tiger Jack Fox to prominence in Spokane. He began working with Fox in December 1934, when Fox returned to Spokane in pursuit of a rematch with Young Firpo. Through his efforts, he was able to convince Fox to finally settle down, and end for the most part his barnstorming in small tank towns in the West.

After Fox defeated Maxie Rosenbloom in Spokane in October 1935, Morse and Austin headed to California to land him main events in Southern California. Morse and Austin were unsuccessful in landing any fights for Fox, although they did convince the management of Light Heavyweight Champion John Henry Lewis to come to Spokane for a non-title bout in January 1936. Lonnie Austin decided to remain in California and resume his career as a trainer and scout of boxing talent.

Fox would be knocked out in the 3rd round by John Henry Lewis, but Morse didn't give up on Fox and tried to find him another break throughout 1936. Fox's break finally came when Morse brought former Light Heavyweight Champion Bob Olin to Spokane in January 1937. Fox came through this time with a 2nd round kayo. Fox had done all he could do in Spokane, so Morse sent him back to New York with Billy Nelson.

Morse would not promote for the remainder of 1937; Fox was the only main event fighter that Morse had. Morse would resume promoting upon Fox's return to Spokane in January 1938. He would continue on until January 1939. Towards the end of his tenure in Spokane he was promoting out of the Al Morse Coliseum, and was working with Lonnie Austin's last notable fighter, Harold Hoshino.

In January 1939, Morse headed to Portland with Hoshino and attempted to revive the dead boxing game in Portland. Morse didn't have much success in Portland, as even an exciting fighter like Hoshino could not revive Portland's struggling pro boxing scene. By May, Morse could only muster a gate of $500 at Portland's 4,000 seat Auditorium, and it appears he was done in Portland as a promoter.

During the early-to-mid 1940s Morse managed Kellogg, Idaho's Vern Earling, who was trained by Tiger Jack Fox. He would remain a powerful figure in Spokane's boxing scene through the remainder of the 1940s, operating the Al Morse Gymnasium, which was probably the most respected gym in Spokane at the time.

As of 1948, he was running a card room on 425 Main Ave. in Spokane, as well as continuing to run his gym, with Chuck Haines as partner at the gym.