Alexis Arguello vs. Ray Mancini
1981-10-03 : Alexis Arguello 135 lbs beat Ray Mancini 134½ lbs by TKO at 1:44 in round 14 of 15
- Location: Ballys Park Place Hotel Casino, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Tony Perez
- Judge: Jose Mayorga 127-122
- Judge: Eva Shain 125-122
- Judge: Roberto Ramirez Sr. 125-123
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Championship (1st defense by Arguello)
- The twenty-year-old Mancini entered the fight ranked No. 3 at lightweight by the WBC.
- More than 500 fans from Mancini's hometown of Youngstown, Ohio, attended the fight.
- After ten rounds, one judge had Arguello ahead, one had Mancini ahead and the third had the fight even.
- Mancini was floored by a right in the thirteenth round.
- Arguello floored Mancini with another right in round fourteen as referee Tony Perez stepped in to stop the fight.
- This was Mancini's first defeat after twenty consecutive wins.
- "It was the best fight so far this year, my friend," Arguello said to Mancini after the fight. He then told the press, "I think my heart is special. But his heart is bigger than I have. ... Someday this young man will be champion."
- After the fight, Mancini said, "This isn't the end of the story. This is the standard first chapter. I'll be back."
- Seven months and five days later, on May 8, 1982, Mancini stopped Arturo Frias in one round to win the WBA Lightweight Championship.