Andre Berto vs. Juan Urango
2009-05-30 : Andre Berto 145¾ lbs beat Juan Urango 146½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Hollywood, Florida, USA
- Referee: Tommy Kimmons
- Judge: Alejandro Rochin 118-110
- Judge: Raul Nieves 118-110
- Judge: Michael Pernick 117-111
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (3rd defense by Berto)
- Andre Berto 24-0 (19 KOs) vs. Juan Urango 21-1 (16 KOs)
- Berto came in ranked as the # 6 welterweight in the world by The Ring Magazine. Urango entered as the # 7 junior welterweight by the same publication.
- For Urango, a 3-1 underdog, it was the 9th bout of his professional career to take place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
Berto, clearly the faster of the two, used movement to get in and out effectively. Urango came forward and in normal fashion threw big, wide punches with added emphasis on Berto's body. Round 4 saw both fighters open up and exchange power punches. Urango simply struggled to land against Berto's movement. Berto was criticized throughout by the HBO commentators for falling in after punching and holding Urango. He was repeatedly told by Referee Tommy Kimmons to stop holding, but Urango was too criticized for not working on the inside when given the opportunity.
- "I thought I did alright. In a few spots, I got a little lazy but that was because I felt it was coming a little too easy. But he's a tough guy, a hard puncher and a little bulldog. But we just used our boxing and showed what we can do." - Andre Berto in the post-fight interview