Antonio Margarito vs. Joshua Clottey
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2006-12-02 : Antonio Margarito 147 lbs beat Joshua Clottey 147 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr.
- Judge: Paul Venti 116-112
- Judge: John Stewart 116-112
- Judge: Eugene Grant 118-109
- World Boxing Organization Welterweight Title (Margarito's 7th defense)
- Weights: 147 lbs (each)
- Margarito suffered from a severe sprained ankle only a week before the bout, and also had problems with his left shoulder as reported days before the fight.
- Clottey suffered an injured left hand in round four, probably while landing a left uppercut. He immediately went into retreat and told his corner at the break.
- Showtime reported this live, explaining why Clottey proceded to lose rounds five through eleven on all three official scorecards.
- Clottey later admitted his hand was not broken as initially reported.