Antonio Tarver vs. Roy Jones Jr. (3rd meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2005-10-01 : Antonio Tarver 175 lbs beat Roy Jones Jr. 173 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: St. Pete Times Forum, Tampa, Florida, USA
- Referee: Tommy Kimmons
- Judge: Peter Trematerra 117-111
- Judge: Paul Herman 116-112
- Judge: Michael Pernick 116-112
- Unofficial ESPN scorecard: 118-111 Tarver
- Unofficial HBO judge Harold Lederman scorecard: 116-112 Tarver
- The Ring Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Tarver)
- IBO Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Tarver)
- NBA Light Heavyweight Title (Vacant Title)
- See also: Antonio Tarver vs. Roy Jones Jr. (1st meeting)
- See also: Roy Jones Jr. vs. Antonio Tarver (2nd meeting)
- There was a sellout crowd of 20,895.
- The fighters earned in excess of $4 million apiece plus a share of pay-per-view revenues.
- The fight generated 440,000 pay-per-view buys. The figure was originally reported to be 415,000.
- Tarver landed 158 of 620 punches (25%) and Jones connected on 85 of 320 (27%).
- Roy Jones Sr., who trained Jones Jr. until being fired in 1992, returned to his son's training camp as a co-trainer for this fight. Jones later blamed the loss to Tarver on the return of his father. He claimed he was distracted by the chaos in his corner caused by his father trying to take control from co-trainer Alton Merkerson. He said the agreement was for his father to have his say between rounds and then for Merkerson to offer his advice. "If he sticks to the plan, it works for everybody, but my father didn't stick to the plan," Jones said. "He had his assistant up in the ring trying to push Merk out the way, and I'm seeing all this and still trying to do what I have to do."