Art (The Great) Shires
Name: Art Shires
Alias: Art the Great
Birth Name: Charles Arthur Shires
Birthplace: Italy, Texas, USA
Died: 1967-07-13 (Age:59)
Hometown: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Height: 6′ 1″ / 185cm
Boxing Record: click
Manager: Nessie Blumenthal
- Shires is better-known as a professional baseball player: Site 1; Site 2
- He was also a vaudeville actor of some fame.
- According to a Jan. 9, 1930 Seattle Daily Times (Seattle, WA, USA) news wire report, Shires had earned $8,000.00 for four bouts--more than the $2,900.00 he had made playing as a first baseman for all of 1929. That was 30 days of fighting versus five months of baseball.
- On Feb. 11, 1950, a Dallas, Texas, jury found him guilty of simple assault and fined him $25.00. He originally had been charged with murder of former baseball umpire W. H. (Hi) Erwin, who had died Oct. 3, 1948, nine weeks after a fight with Shires. The grand jury had reduced the charge to aggravated assault, for which Shires was tried.
- Art Shires died at his home in Italy, Texas--where he had been born.