Austin and Bishop
Based in Seattle, WA, USA, Lonnie Austin and Biddy Bishop promoted boxing shows during the late 1920s/early 1930s, in competition with rival promoter Nate Druxman. The two also promoted "semi-amateur" programs, held at an athletic club called the Austin & Bishop Club located at 1630 Ninth Avenue (9th & Olive Streets), Seattle. According to the April 21, 1923 Tacoma News-tribune, Harry Morrissey ran the food counter (food, drinks and cigars) at this club. There was a large blackboard in the main room that gave fight lineups and news of other sports of interest. The gym had a permanent ring, and could seat 700 spectators.
Austin and Bishop's partnership ended after it was revealed that a November 2, 1932 show the two men had promoted had two boxers from San Francisco who fought under phony names. Although authorities revoked Bishop's boxing license, Austin was exonerated of any wrongdoing and continued promoting on his own until 1934.
See also Austin and Salt