Benny Paret vs. Gaspar Ortega (1st meeting)
1959-08-07 : Benny Kid Paret 147½ lbs lost to Gaspar Ortega 148 lbs by SD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Teddy Martin 6-4
- Judge: Mike Parisi 4-6
- Judge: Tommy Dolan 4-5
"Cuban Benny (Kid) Paret displayed so much class last night while losing an unpopular split decision to Mexican Gaspar Ortega that he earned a non-title shot at welterweight champion Don Jordan. It was an excellent see-saw fight in which Ortega was generally the aggressor with his wild, long-range hooking attack to body and head. They exchanged furiously in nearly every round; but there were no knockdowns, and the only blood came from Ortega's nose after the 3rd round." -United Press International
- Paret was a substitute for a substitute in this bout. Originally Ortega was to fight Florentino Fernandez, who withdrew with a virus. Then Charley Scott was signed, but he couldn't get into shape in the prescribed time. Thus falling on Paret.
- Due to the outstanding contest, MSG matchmaker Teddy Brenner promised Ortega a match with Florentino Fernandez and Paret a non-title match with welterweight champ Don Jordan, both in October and both in MSG. The Ortega-Fernandez match materialized but Paret did not meet Jordan until their title bout in Las Vegas the following year.
- A ringside poll of 15 sportswriters showed 9 scoring this bout for Paret and 6 for Ortega.