Billy Backus vs. Johnny Brooks
1968-10-07 : Johnny Brooks 147½ lbs lost to Billy Backus 146 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Municipal Auditorium, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Referee: Pete Giarusso
"Billy Backus, the 'Canastota Clouter,' has appeared in four New Orleans fights and never has failed to put up a fine performance. Backus, weighing 146 to Johnny Brooks' 147 1/2, had little trouble solving his opponent's style, punching Johnny at will to score a unanimous 10 round decision in Municipal Auditorium." -Ring Magazine, January 1969 issue
- Brooks was fined $100 and suspended until December 31st by the boxing Commission due to his lackluser performance.
Scorecards (all for Backus)
- Referee Pete Giarrusso - 8-0-2
- Judge Herman Dutriex - 8-1-1
- Judge Ernest Cojoe - 7-2-1
Post fight comment
- "I did the best I could. I know I was in good shape but the guy was too awkward for me and I just couldn't get started. Everytime I'd move in on him, he'd hit me in the forehead with his left. Besides, I hurt my right hand. I make no excuses. I lost." -Johnny Brooks, at his hearing.