Billy Weeks

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search
Summer 1918

Name: Billy Weeks
Born: 1890-04-27
Hometown: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Height: 5′ 8½″   /   174cm
Boxing Record: click

Managers: Paul Granstrom, Biddy Bishop, John McMahon
Photo #2

Billy Weeks was reported to have been British, although he was born in Boston. He was born in 1890, April 27. (Or August 24, per the 1915 T. S. Andrews World's Sporting Annual Record Books. This book also states he was born in Nova Scotia, Canada.) Weeks was said to have been of Irish-Scotch-Canadian-American heritage. The Jan. 12, 1917 Tacoma Times said he was Portuguese. [1]

Weeks started boxing in 1910. Most of the early bouts of the linked Fight Record (1910-1915) are from the Feb. 25, 1916 edition of the Everett Daily Herald (Everett, Washington, USA). The Dec. 15, 1913 Tacoma Daily News reported that his manager at the time was John McMahon. (That edition also carried a photo of Weeks.) The afore-mentioned Tacoma Times article mentioned that Paul 'Gloomy' Granstrom had been his manager.

Weeks was a Vancouver, BC, fireman, per the April 23, 1915 TDN.

In late 1916, Biddy Bishop, who had been the Sporting Editor for the TDN for the past 10 years, quit that job to manage Weeks.

The April 27, 1916 TDN reported his 26th birthday. When he was two weeks old, his family moved from Boston to Canada. While crossing the border his father died. So Billy was sent to live with his grandmother at Belle River, a village in the province of Prince Edward Island. He moved to Vancouver at age 18 years. By the time of that newspaper article, his ring record comprised of 65 bouts, losing only one by decision. He established three ring records: He won two titles in one night, the middle and heavyweight championships of British Columbia; and his two-second KO of Romeo Hagen equalled the Battling Nelson-Rossler bout for quickest KO in history to date.

In early August 1916, while Weeks was unloading a huge roll of barbed wire from a ship, the roll fell on his foot and "ripped tendons to an alarming rate." He required eight stitches and the foot was badly injured. TDN August 8, 1916.