Bobby Woods

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search

Name: Bobby Woods
Birth Name: Bobby Max Wood
Born: 1934-12-26
Died: 1996-05-14 (Age:61)
Hometown: Spokane, Washington, USA
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 5′ 9″   /   175cm
Reach: 69″   /   175cm
Boxing Record: click

Managers: Spike Carney, Urgell Bell, Lou Viscusi

Bobby Woods Gallery

Bobby Woods, who turned pro at 15-years-old, retired at the age of 21, due to encroaching blindness. He had a detached retina in his right eye, and a cataract in his left eye. In the late 1960s, he was training amateurs in Seattle, Washington.

His birth name is Bobby Max Wood; however, in all the news clippings when Woods was boxing, they added the letter "s" to his last name. His amateur boxing record was 55 wins, 3 losses, and no draws.

Circumstances of Death

Bobby Wood had been drinking the afternoon of May 14th with a friend, Mark Allen Vermillion, in Medford, Oregon. Around 6:00 pm he entered Rose Grocery Store. He tried to purchase some beer, but it was obvious he had been drinking. The clerk refused to sell it to him. He was teetering, not walking straight and reeking of beer. After Wood was sent out David Delano Francis came in and bought a beer. When he went outside he gave the beer to Wood. A few hours later, about 8:00 pm, David Francis came back into the store but only bought candy, as the clerk refused to sell him beer because he had given the beer he bought earlier to Wood.

By 8:30 pm, Wood, Francis and Mark had found the alcohol they sought elsewhere. They were drinking on the corner of Cedar and Clark streets. There was a photo studio on the corner. It was closed for the evening. There were some hedges in the front of the building. The hedges were high enough that you could stand behind them and not be seen from the street. Sometime betwween 8:30 and 8:45, Wood and Francis begain to argue. Francis insisted that Wood should take off his hat. Wood wore a white hat to hide his baldness. Francis was worried that the white hat might draw attention to them, meaning the police. Wood refused to take his hat off. The argument grew more violent, then it turned into a physical altercation. Sometime during the altercation, Francis pulled a knife and stabbed Wood at least three times. Wood broke away from Francis and tried to get away. Yelling for help, he collapsed after only a few steps--his upper body on the sidewalk, his legs in the street. He died before the paramedics could get to him. David Francis was arrested a short time later. He was charged with first degree murder. At his trial he was found guilty and sentenced to serve 25 years to life in prison.