Bruce Seldon vs. Mike Tyson
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1996-09-07 : Mike Tyson 219 lbs beat Bruce Seldon 229 lbs by TKO at 1:49 in round 1 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Steele
- Judge: Chuck Giampa
- Judge: Bill Graham
- Judge: Dave Moretti
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (2nd defense of Seldon)
- Promoter: Don King Productions
- Photo #1
- Photo #2
- Seldon was knocked down twice. Some felt that Seldon took a dive in this fight. Replays show that a punch did not even land when he went down in what was credited as the first knockdown. After Seldon was knocked down a second time, from a grazing punch, the referee waved off the fight as Seldon appeared to be disoriented.
- Tyson was stripped by the WBC immediately after stepping into the ring for this fight for not fighting mandatory challenger Lennox Lewis; therefore the WBC title was not on the line.
- Rap artist Tupac Shakur, who attended this event, was shot just hours after the fight, and died six days later.