Carlos Manuel Baldomir vs. Arturo Gatti
2006-07-22 : Carlos Manuel Baldomir 147 lbs beat Arturo Gatti 147 lbs by TKO at 2:50 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Wayne Hedgpeth
- Judge: Tom Kaczmarek 78-74
- Judge: Hubert Minn 79-73
- Judge: John Stewart 77-75
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (Baldomir's 1st defense)
- IBA Welterweight Title (Gatti's 1st defense)
- Time: 2:50
- Weights: 147 lbs (each)
- Baldomir defends his Ring Magazine welterweight world title.
Baldomir made a successful first title defense in Gatti's hometown, by overpowering the naturally smaller Gatti. Baldomir consistently landed right hand power shots throughout the fight. At times, Gatti attempted to stand and trade with Baldomir, but his power shots seemed to have little effect on the champ. Gatti was knocked down by a left hook to the head in the ninth round, after he had been hurt along the ropes. After he rose, a barrage of punches from Baldomir put him down for the second time. Referee Wayne Hedgepeth, immediately stopped the bout.