Name: Carmelo Negron
Birthplace: Puerto Rico
Died: 2013-05-10 (Age:53)
Nationality: Puerto Rican
Hometown: Waukegan, Illinois, USA
Height: 5′ 1½″ / 156cm
Boxing Record: click
Early Rise To Contender
- Negron won his first 17 bouts consecutively and was ranked as high as # 2 in the super featherweight division, but then lost eight of his next 10 bouts to fade from contention. Won five of his last six bouts, losing only a ten round decision to 24-0 Mike Garcia, who retired at 25-0.
- USA Illinois State lightweight title (2000)
- 1978 represented Chicago at the Intercity Golden Gloves Tournament at 119 lb.
Illness and Death
Shortly after an operation to remove a stomach tumor, Carmelo Negron died of advanced dementia and stomach cancer on May 10, 2013. He was buried in Hartford, Connecticut, on May 17, 2013.
- Sharon Scrima Sportsmedia article on Carmelo's Negron's death []
- Robert Brizel Real Combat Media Story on Carmemo Negron's Death []
| USA Illinois State lightweight title
2000 November 22 – 2001 June 01