Corey Sanders vs. Oleg Maskaev
2002-03-17 : Oleg Maskaev 238 lbs lost to Corey Sanders 312 lbs by TKO at 2:45 in round 8 of 10
- Location: Gold Country Casino, Oroville, California, USA
- Referee: Marty Sammon 70-63 69-64 69-64
- Weights: Maskaev 238 lbs, Sanders 312 lbs.
- Fight was aired by Fox Sports Net.
- Sanders was caught by several clean shots in Round 3.
- Maskaev down at 2:28 into Round 8 from a left uppercut, finished with a right, then left hook. He was able to make it to his feet at the count of 8. Staying in the corner, Maskaev went down again at 2:43 into Round 8 from a huge left hook. Referee Marty Sammon called an end to the bout.
- From all indications, Maskaev was well ahead on points at the time of the knockout.
- Maskaev was by far the more polished of the two fighters. Sanders, for much of the fight, was confined to throwing small, ineffective combos. Prior to the knockout, his greatest success came from pounding the ribs of Maskaev during clinches. This changed in the 8th Round, however, as he caught Maskaev with a left uppercut that landed cleanly amongst a combination.