Dave Downey vs. Gary Broughton (3rd meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1973-09-27 : Gary Broughton 153½ lbs lost to Dave Downey 159½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Canadian Middleweight Title (1st defense of Downey)
- Judges' Scoring: John Sansom (11-0-1), Stu Isnor (8-3-1) and James Greig (10-0-2)
- Weights: Downey 159 lbs, Broughton 159 lbs
- Promoter: Bill Hartlen
- Attendance: 4,000
- Final of the card entitled "Night of the Champions". For the occasion, promoter Hartlen had invited a number of past and present Canadian champions, including Art Hafey, Donato Paduano and Clyde Gray.
- Although Downey was fighting in his hometown, he was jeered by the crowd as he entered the ring. Journalist Harris Sullivan wrote in the 4th Estate that "[t]here was no warmth for Downey. Here was this handsome Halifax fighter defending his Canadian title in his hometown and he was greeted if he were the enemy".
- Downey outclassed Broughton, winning all twelve rounds on some observers' scorecards, but the crowd once again turned on his in the 11th and 12th round and he fought with his hands down and taunted his overmatched opponent.
Downey vs. Durelle
| Canadian Middleweight Title Fight
Downey vs. Hayward