Denis Lebedev vs. Shawn Cox
2012-04-04 : Denis Lebedev 199 lbs beat Shawn Cox 200 lbs by KO at 2:22 in round 2 of 12
- Location: Crocus City Hall, Myakinino, Russia
- Referee: Giuseppe Quartarone
- Judge: Philippe Verbeke
- Judge: Andriy Baliasov
- Judge: Ingo Barrabas
Denis Lebedev versus Shawn Cox WBA Interim Cruiserweight Title Bout
- Lebedev went to 25-1, 18 knockouts, and retained the WBA interim world cruiserweight title
- Cox threw a straight right hand which missed, and walked into a Lebedev counter power left hook to the head, and fell knocked out.
- Lebedev qualified for a shot at the full WBA World Champion Guillermo Jones with this victory.
- Cox was leading this bout in overall punches thrown and landed, and power punches landed.
- Cox qualified for this opportunity by scoring a first round stoppage of former world cruiserweight champion Wayne Braithwaite in Guyana two months earlier in a WBC regional heavyweight title bout, knocking Braithwaite down three times in the first, an upset.
- Cox had an extensive career as an amateur light heavyweight, turning pro late in 2007 at age 32.
- Cox had fought his entire professional career as a cruiserweight (with one exception) before taking this bout. His only previous loss was a 12 round decision in a European cruiserweight title bout.
- Lebedev knocks out Cox, Retains WBA Interim Title USA Today Story []