Dick Tiger vs. Jose Torres (1st meeting)
1966-12-16 : Dick Tiger 167 lbs beat Jose Torres 175 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Johnny LoBianco 10-5
- Judge: Tony Castellano 8-6
- Judge: Frank Forbes 10-4
- World Boxing Association Light Heavyweight Title
- World Boxing Council Light Heavyweight Title
- Weights: Torres 175 lbs, Tiger 167 lbs
"Dick Tiger, who appeared washed up eight months ago, today had a fresh career ahead of him as light heavyweight champion at age 37. A 3-1 underdog to Jose Torres, Tiger took a boxing lesson from the defender in the first five rounds and then came on like a tidal wave. In the 6th, Tiger began to score inside with both hands to the head and body. From then on Tiger dominated the fight and the champion grew more and more listless. The crowd of 13,654 which had cheered Torres at the start, roared for Tiger to keep charging. When the unanimous verdict was announced, it was greeted with rousing cheers." -Associated Press
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 8-6-1 Tiger
- Unofficial UPI scorecard - 9-5-1 Tiger
- Unofficial poll of 19 sportswriters had 13 scoring for Tiger, 5 for Torres and one scoring it a draw.
- Gate: $100,488.00 (plus $60,000 in TV monies)
- Purses: Torres - $75,000 (guaranteed), Tiger - app. $30,000 on a 20% cut.
Post fight comments
- "I thought I won the fight even though I fought a very bad fight." -Jose Torres
- "I knew he was talk, talk all the time. I knew I could beat him. I was much stronger at 167." -Dick Tiger
- "Return with Torres? Why not. This time we'll get the big money." -Lou Burston, one of Tiger's American handlers.