Dick Tiger vs. Jose Torres (1st meeting)
1966-12-16 : Dick Tiger 167 lbs beat Jose Torres 175 lbs by UD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Johnny LoBianco 10-5
- Judge: Tony Castellano 8-6
- Judge: Frank Forbes 10-4
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 8-6-1 Tiger
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 9-5-1 Tiger
- World Boxing Association Light Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Torres)
- World Boxing Council Light Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Torres)
From The Associated Press:
Dick Tiger, who appeared washed up eight months ago, today had a fresh career ahead of him as light heavyweight champion at age 37. A 3-1 underdog to Jose Torres, Tiger took a boxing lesson from the defender in the first five rounds and then came on like a tidal wave. In the 6th, Tiger began to score inside with both hands to the head and body. From then on Tiger dominated the fight and the champion grew more and more listless. The crowd of 13,654 which had cheered Torres at the start, roared for Tiger to keep charging. When the unanimous verdict was announced, it was greeted with rousing cheers.
- 19 ringside sportswriters were polled after the fight. 13 scored for Tiger, 5 favored Torres and one called it a draw.
- The gate was $100,488.00 and another $60,000 was generated in TV monies.
- Torres received 40% of all revenue against a guarantee of $75,000, and Tiger received approximately $30,000 on a 20% cut.
- "I thought I won the fight even though I fought a very bad fight." - Jose Torres
- "I knew he was talk, talk all the time. I knew I could beat him. I was much stronger at 167." - Dick Tiger
- "Return with Torres? Why not. This time we'll get the big money." - Lou Burston, one of Tiger's American handlers.